1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I might be forced to come out before this weekend.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Juggalo, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Juggalo

My best friend is insisting we go to Pride in Minneapolis this weekend.
    I'm only out to a handful of people. Telling him and my dad will be the hardest thing I've ever done. Also, how exactly does one come out as mostly gay? lol stress
    At least I knw that if I come out and fail there, I'll have a lot of support from strangers. He lives with me. If this goes bad, what should I do? ugh

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think your friend may haev a clue about you as he's insiting on going? Has he given you any other clues that he might know?

3. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Could your friend be in the closet dealing with his own sexuality? I wonder how many straight guys would suggest going to Pride unless they were perhaps fans of a band performing at Pride? If he is straight then you could assume that he is at least LGBT friendly and likely to offer support when you do come out to him.

Sale Gay Guy

4. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    You can just say that you are an ally and that you want to go.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just go with him and don't worry about what people will say; they probably won't. You don't have to officially come out to go to a Pride event; lots of people do.

6. Do it. Go. Have a good time!

As for the conversations with your friend & dad - you could just hint? Like 'going to pride means so much to me, and makes me so nervous.'

That makes it clear, without actually saying 'i'm gay' or 'i'm not straight'

Good luck!

7. thecarpenter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe don't think of it as so black and white. You can go to Pride without having to come out. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. Does your Dad have to know you're going to Pride?

8. Juggalo

Its more like my dad lives ina different state and since I'm just getting to know him, I don't feel comfortable tellin him.

As for friend, there is a lot of background there. Long story short, he wants to "dance with the gay guys" or something. He is very comfortable with LGBT. Its just, I need to get over that barrier, since tellng your best friend is very difficult, especially in my situation, with living with him, him getting naked every timehe drinks, etc etc. I'm simly in a weird position, and I'm either gay or bi depending on the day and don't even know how to label myself anymore. I'm mostly just worrid he'ol thik that I'm attracted to him.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure from what you have said that you would have to tell your Dad in order to go to the Pride event.

Your friend is probably trying to show you that he knows you are "pretty gay" if not "totally gay and in the closet", and wants to help you get comfortable with it and him knowing it. Forget about the labels, just tell him that you like certain guys some of the time, and a few girls some of the time, but he need not worry about you because you are attracted to him only as a friend, and aren't going to try to jump him if he gets drunk and starts running around naked. If you do it right, he will get a laugh out of it, you will be out to him and have him as an ally when you decide its time to tell your dad.

10. Juggalo

I don't need to tell my dad. I included him in my initial statement simply because its been eating at me just as much as telling my best friend.
    As for the best friend, yeah no. It'll be a suprise. Probably. He somehow has absolutely no gaydar whatsoever. Everyone thinks that he is the gay one, lol. And I quote, "I wish I was gay. Then I could be fabulous." And yes, there is absolutely zero chance he is closeted.
    I'd explain further about the situation, but typing on a Vita is frustrating.

I will try to apply your advice. I'm almost completely sur he'll be fine, but I've just got this mental block in my head telling me otherwise.

Hell. I even told HR at my work. I have no problems telling people unles they are close to me. Stupid brain. lol