1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"But you dated guys!"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MyLittleWorld, Jun 24, 2014.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recently, I came out to one of my friends and, her answer was "but you dated guys!? you can't be gay" and I didn't know what to say...

I tried to explain that I never felt anything romantic for guys and, it never worked out because, I like girls. She started to name guys I had "crushes" on, I tried to explain it was platonic love, but she still keeps talking about guys.

I feel a little bit unaccepted because, I feel she thought it was a joke... how can I explain it to her..? anyone had the same problem..?:confused:

2. BethLauren

That is one of my biggest fears when coming out to my friends.
    Just tell her that it took a while for you to accept your sexuality and stop trying with guys, maybe? Or just keep telling her that you never really felt anything romantic for those guys, sit down and have a long talk about it.
    Sometimes its really hard to make people understand, and its a really hard situation to be in.
    Hope it turns out ok! X

3. Emmanuella

Some friends/family/people are just thick headed and frustrating!! This is why I'm reluctant to open up to certain friends... because I cannot stand people who just don't "get it", or don't want to get it.

I guess you could just try to reason with them, or explain yourself differently to see if they would understand. Tell your friend that you were dating guys to go along with your other friends/ as you were not ready to out yourself. Tell her that it has taken a lot of courage to admit that you are not interested in men. If she cannot understand...too bad for her! It won't change anything re: your sexuality and attraction.
    As frustrating as it is, just let her think what she wants to think, and eventually, she may or may not come around with time.

4. Really

"It was a mistake dating those guys. Like trying pickles and cream, I don't like that either and won't be doing that again. I've figured out my preference. I can be gay. Anyone can."