1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i become more exposed? Online dating suggestions anyone?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by adrianislander, Jun 24, 2014.

1. adrianislander

so i have recently come out of the closet and i am fairly new to the gay dating game. not a lot of options here where i am from and the guys here who are out are really not my type. i've tried online dating but a lot of them are very sexually driven and i kind of want a long term thing here. another problem is that many of the sites suggested via poles usually don't cater to a guy who is well outside their range and i'm pretty far away. please help! i'm pretty desperate at this point.

2. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi adrianislander, I also lack experience, but here in the UK it's really easy to use apps etc. to do online dating/hook-ups. It sounds like where you live (small population?) it may be harder. I would suggest redoubling your efforts with the local population - sometimes one can click, mentally, with guys who aren't physically our types. Even if relationships do not blossom, increasing your circle of gay friends will be a good thing - it should lead to further encounters in the 'gay world' which in turn can lead to relationships. You could also move to a nearby big country, though that's a big step.

3. HTBO

I agree increasing your circle of gay friends is a good place to start. I've been doing the online dating thing and so far I have made a good friend, she's not my type but we do click as friends. I've met another person (not actually met in person, but we've been talking a lot) and both of us were looking for friends only. We seem to have connected on a deeper level, and I think we are beyond the friendship thing even though neither of us was looking for it. Don't be too selective, the second person I've been talking to didn't even have a picture up. You never know what you may discover and the types of relationships you'll develop. I see it as a way of assuming my identity.

4. adrianislander

thanks so much you two! actually i'm friends with a lot of the gay population here in my island and yes we have clicked as friends and they have tried to deepen our relationship but there is no physical attraction from my part. i like them but only as friends and sorry for not clarifying that at the beginning. i'm very lucky to have met these people but like YaraNunchuck has said, my island has a very small population and the selection of guys are quite limited. i will be moving away soon for medical school and i guess i can wait until then but to be honest i would really like to try something sooner rather than later.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Like others have said, it helps to make gay friends, and don't be afraid to ask them if they can set you up on a blind date. Who knows? It could work out. If I where you I would stay away from the apps, your not going to find a meaningful relationship there.