1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way Too Nervous

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Vaettfang, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Vaettfang

I have this searing pain in my heart. It tells me to come out. My brain tells me no. I'm afraid of them trying to fix me. My parents most likely will think it's a phase. I'm really nervous about coming out. I want to, but I don't want to at the same time. It's confusing! Help! :tears::help:

2. mangotree

99% of people are nervous before they come out, don't worry.
    In what way do you think your parents will try to "fix you" if you come out?
    Which 'want' feels the weakest? (Staying in or coming out)
    How have you overridden conflicting thoughts/feelings in the past (in other situations)?
    Have there been any past instances where you've tried to tell them and you sort of choked?

3. Vaettfang

My want to stay in is weaker. I've never been one for courage or overcoming conflicted feelings. I've planned to before, but I never did. I want to come out to my mom first. I want to be away from my not-so-supportive dad. :help:

4. mangotree

Okay, so each time you try to tell your mum - try to set aside a good amount of time to do it. Maybe an hour or more.
    Eventually you'll get to the point where it is more difficult to say nothing than it is to say it - at that point you won't be able to stop it from flowing out.
    It might take you 10 or 20 tries to get there, and that's absolutely fine. There's no pressure.
    Also - if it will make you feel better - print out some PFLAG stuff for her to read afterwards. Even if she doesn't read it, it might help with your confidence.

Those are just a few of the things that I did. Everyone's journey is different though.

Peace! (*hug*) and good luck

5. Vaettfang

She'll just think I'm too young to realize my sexuality. I give up. :tantrum: