1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only one person knows

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Heather137, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Heather137

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been questioning my sexuality for a while now but have never acted on anything or told anyone. I finally told my cousin/best friend after he confided in me that he too has been questioning his sexuality. Any advice? I'm not sure I'm ready to come out as bisexual or a lesbian because I've had no experience but I'd like to know how to approach this situation. I just want to be able to be more open to my feelings and have the support from my friends and especially my roommates when the time comes.

2. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would suggest telling those you feel comfortable confiding in that you are questioning your sexuality and get their input and support. In the meanwhile, spend that time and use that support to fully understand what you identify as. It's a painstaking process (it took me three years to finally realize accept that I was gay), but it's a lot better to be sure before you come out as definitively gay, bi, etc.

I hope that helps, and good luck going into your future.

3. Archie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I reckon talking about gay people with them to see how they react about it could help!? Maybe say you think one of your friends could be gay/bisexual and see how they respond to that? Then you can plan your next moves from there. I know it can be very scary and I am kind of in the same situation as you...

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you are at the questioning stage it always seems so confusing, but you can at least strip away one layer of confusion by acknowledging (if only to yourself) that you are not straight. It might not seem much, but rolling back any layer of confusion can help you see things a little more clearly.

As far as questioning is concerned, I'd echo GayLibertarians comments about taking your time. Don't heap pressure on yourself to reach a decision as you may end up re-visiting this issue all over again years down the line. Depending on how things pan out with relationships, it could be a lot more painful to come back to this stage later in life.