1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by porcelainroses, Jun 26, 2014.

1. porcelainroses

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi,

It's taken a while but I've finally admitted to myself I am bisexual - I fancy girls in the same way I fancy boys and I'm okay with that. Only thing is, I have no idea how to let anyone know. In an ideal world, it wouldn't be a big deal - I could just drop it into casual conversation. But it is a big deal and me telling anyone would, I know, make them act differently to me. I wish wish wish it could be out there because I really want a girlfriend:icon_redf

Any advice would be welcome, or just someone to talk about it with. Thank you!

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Letting people know is a process that you have to do at a pace you are comfortable with. I think many here can relate to the worry of being treated differently if they come out. I know I did.

To be honest, working it into casual conversation can be an effective way. It can often be good if you steer a conversation towards say LGBT issues. That way you can gauge what someone's opinion on it will be and thus get an idea how they will react.

The thing to avoid is sitting people down and saying something like "I've got something to tell you" as this makes it sound you have some sinister secret to reveal when you really don't. If you do tell people, be prepared for questions and have answers ready for what they may ask. That way you won't come across as uncertain about your orientation. I often recommend practising the conversation and what you are going to say before hand. Many of us have done this to make any explaining easier.

I think the important thing to tell people is that nothing has changed about you. You are still the same person that you were before you told them, they just know one more thing about you and that's all.

If you don't want to come out directly, you could try dropping hints. You could wear small pride accessories or even drop hints in things you say. You could hint at if there were girls you'd like to go out with or find attractive or possibly about attending pride events.

What ever you decide, I hope everything goes well for you.

Happy days :slight_smile: