1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never coming out again

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SamThes, Jun 26, 2014.

1. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I tested the waters with my sister. Told her that I have no interest in sex (I think I'm asexual) and she freaked out. Like, squealing and asking what was wrong with me. Then told her I was curious on what her reaction would be to other hypothetical situations. Of course, the one that popped into my head was wanting a sex change, and she took it as coming out and told me I have two months to make out with a guy, which will somehow prove in her mind that I'm not trans*, and that if I don't she'll make my life "sex change hell" and will never be allowed in her house. Problem is, I suck at dating, and the odds of me making out with a guy in the next two months is approximately zero. I've been 23 years without making out with anyone. But apparently I have two months now. Anyway, never comi out with anything about myself again. Ever.

2. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

No don't let your sister push you back into the closet you need to be yourself and don't think that it's somehow you're fault because it's not and you shouldn't have to do something you don't want to if you don't want to make out with a man then don't because if you do then you might regret it but not everyone will take it the same way some will respond in a positive manner and most will support you and here you know there are always people who will both advice and support you good luck :slight_smile:

3. GoldenDeer

GoldenDeer Guest

I'm so sorry this happened! I have a similar issue with my mother where I sort of tested the waters with her and she flipped out and got very upset over the whole thing. Almost offended. She insists even now that "whatever is wrong" with me is a matter of hormones and on a few occasions she's even told me to expect problems in my current relationship and any future ones because of it. Also her offence seems to come at the idea of no sex = no grandchildren and being her only daughter all of that responsibility has fallen to me.

But I've had a lot of time to think and I think I can offer you the same advice I've made peace with myself. Don't let that stop you. I have a ton of anxiety myself when it comes to coming out to anyone about anything and so I don't have much experience to tell you where it's okay but I know those people are out there. So please, please don't let what your sister says affect you down the road. Those strange ultimatums are just plain unhealthy. Why do you have to prove anything to anyone else? Just be happy with yourself and do what makes you feel right. Once you feel good about it and can go outside and say to yourself "yes, this is what feels good to me" then you'll find it a lot easier to share that with others with a sense of pride. This I know, even if I'm not there yet. But it's where I want to be and where I think a lot of people can aspire to be, yourself included.

Good luck and I'm certain in the future you will find others that will change your mind!

4. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Goodness, you are not even considering letting her push you around like that are you, letting her get you to do something like dating just because she tells you to?? You need to stand up for yourself here. She is way out of line. If you want to date someone, by all means, but only if it comes from you, not because your sister orders it, to hell with that!

take care of yourself, now...
    damien :slight_smile:

5. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I am considering letting her push me around on this. Because I know what the consequences will be if I don't. My sister is the closest person I have in my life, and I don't want to lose her. And she'll cut me off if I don't lie to her and convince her that I'm not trans*. Plus she's threatened to tell other people... And if my parents find out, I'm likely to get kicked out, which I can't afford financially yet. Also, life will be hell for me if they find out. And I've already been through hell with my depression. Not willing to go back. Last time I had a serious discussion with my parents about gender, I got suicidal again. I can't let that happen again. I just can't do it. So I don't see any other option than to do things my sister's way and never bring it up again.

6. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't let anybody scare you baCk in the closet they will be people who will except you for who you are.