1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friends are pushing me in the closet...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lovinladies, Jun 28, 2014.

1. lovinladies

lovinladies Guest

I feel like I'll never be able to tell two of my best friends my secreat, and the same with a ton of my other friends. I want to come out so badly, because I'm tired of them trying to set me up with guys, and making gay jokes around me. Some of my friends I will never be able to tell, because they are extremely homophobic. And I can be okay with that.

But my two best friends, constently say they're not homophobic, but everytime I try to come out, they say something like "Dude, thats funny... wait your ot being serious are you? I mean your strieght, you've liked boys before. your joking, right?"

And just like that I'm pushed back into the closet. I'll blush and say "Of coarse. That would be weird, right?" And the thing is, they've agreed. They've told me how weird that would be, and go on talking about boys.

They constently make "thats so gay" jokes, and the other day one of them told me "Your not gay, I mean, that would be so unnatural.. I'd still love you, but thats just.. your not gay." it hurts because I've known both of them since I was seven. I keep dropping hints, but they constently make homophobic commets.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose them as friends, but I feel like keeping a secreat from them is eating me alive.

What should I do?

2. lovely lesbian

I think when you feel the time is right just sit them down and tell them i know that is easier said then done but them making gay jokes is not right and you should say that to them and just tell them that you being gay is not a joke and if they are your real friends they will support you no matter what.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lovely lesbian is right.
    I would tell them flat out. No more subtle hints.
    I feel that if you don't just flat out tell them, they'll just continue pushing back.

You should pick a time where you're all hanging out together and you're not really busy doing something. Maybe when you're watching TV, talking, etc.

4. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell them, it might be hard. But if they are truely your friends then they will accept you, and if not. then they're not worth keeping around.

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone is right it's best to be straight to the point. No pun intended. All this might look like you are joking because straight people joke about being gay. Just be honest.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You should flat out tell them. If they don't accept you, It's their loss. Denying it may hurt you in the long run especially if they set you up with a guy that you are miserable with.

7. BiPenguin

If they try to compel you to be something you're not, they're not your friends.

8. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You should tell them, and try not to step back this time, otherwise i think it will only get more weird and harder after a while.
    BiPenguin is right, if they don't believe you, they are not your friends. And if this happens, don't feel bad about it. there are other people out there who will support you and make you have enough confidence not to step back anymore

9. Halfway Gay

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You should never be afraid to lose someone. Tell them flat out. If they don't accept you after you tell them, they were never good friends in the first place. There's 7 almost billion people on this earth. There are plenty out there who will accept and love you for who you really are. Good luck!

10. Chubba

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes....you just gotta have faith that if they are your best friends...they can trust you and support you....and if they don't....make new friends. Its tough...but when you do it...a weight will be lifted off your shoulders.

11. person57

Come out to them whenever you feel ready :slight_smile: If they're really your friends, they will still love you and accept you. If not, then they aren't really your friends. And it would be their loss, not yours. Fuck haters and don't listen to them and don't let them bring you down because they're wrong about you. Remember to love yourself and always be yourself unapologetically :slight_smile: you don't have to come out to them now, remember that you can do it whenever you feel ready

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2014 at 11:06 PM ----------

Also, if you do feel ready to come out to them, don't let their comments/the things they say stop you :slight_smile: (*hug*)

12. BreezyB

You should just tell them they already told you they would accept you so you have nothing to lose its just going to be a little awkward for a while