1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Max990, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Max990

Max990 Guest

So now I've finally accepted my orientation, I've realised I have no idea how to come out.
    I considered saying it to my friend over coffee the other day, but then realised I didn't know how to open the conversation. (To be fair I'm also scared, because saying it to a friend makes all of this real).
    I don't just want to say it out of the blue. Also I've never really been comfortable with personal things like this, so it feels a bit alien.
    What should I do?

2. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the way I normally do it is to start talking about gay rights and other topics related to the lgbt culture, then after a little bit you say "oh hey I have something to tell you regarding this topic, I am gay/lesbian" works for me!

3. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try bringing it up in a casually, most people don't like the whole "I've got to tell you something" thing, and it makes it a lot harder to actually say.
    Act cool about it.

4. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The only ways I have ever come out is via text/calls and one time me and my friend were talking and she could see I was curving round the boys topic and she kinda guessed. Just be confident, and they're your friend so they should accept you. If they don't at first don't be disheartened, they may come round after time and if not, then you deserve better. Just don't be scared or shy and be prepared for any questions they may want to ask afterward. Sorry I couldn't be much help. Good luck, it'll be fine, I'm sure. We live in a time now, where most people accept homosexuality, so I'm sure you'll be OK. :slight_smile:

5. RainbowMan

I did it via letter to my parents. The more that you do it, the more and more natural and non-chalant it becomes.

For example, the last person that I explicitly came out to, it was over me discussing that I was going to San Francisco for work a few months ago. He said "well, I know lots of girls out there!". I assumed that he already knew that I was gay (but apparently not, or it slipped his mind or whatever), so I said "you know, girls aren't really my thing" to which he replied, "well, I know plenty of guys too!". It was just that simple.

6. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am 14, and the easiest way I've found to do it is lead people to ask it. Methods I've found of doing this are: drawing a gay pride flag on your hand, and waiting for people to ask/comment about it, or when friends are talking about boys, just say 'I don't get boys. I don't like them.' And wait for the enevitable 'what are you? A lesbian?! Hahahahaha!'

And respond to any questions/comments with
    (If talking about flag) I'm a lesbian. Do you have a problem with that?
    (If in conversation) Yes, I am. Any issues?

That way, by keeping responses short, you have less time to stammer/stutter/panic, and come across as confident, brave and un-bullyable.

It works for me, but i don't know how old you are, so thought I'd just give it a shot! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

#6 ResidentTheatreKid, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014