1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if I really need to "come out"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PharmGirl, Jun 29, 2014.

1. PharmGirl

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm active in the LGBT community, my mom has made jokes about how I "might have better luck with girls" and so forth. She's accidentally accepted me coming out so many times only for me to tell her "wait a minute, I'm not coming out!"

I got lucky, I know 100% that my parents would have no problem with me coming out. I know 100% that my daughter, who's four, would not question it as she's convinced that she'll eventually have "two mommies" (because her best friend has two moms :rolleyes: )

So, I'm not even sure if I really need to come out, or if I can get away with just acting as if everybody already knows. I've always been the unpredictable one in the family. Nobody really is surprised by me anymore, ya know?

What do you all think? Is there something I'm missing by not actually coming out?

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you end up dating a woman and want to talk about her and introduce her to your family that would suffice. You're so lucky to have great support all around you. :slight_smile:

3. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I agree with him
    You have something many wish they had, you don't have to come out which is I think the hardest part about being gay/lesbian .etc.
    So don't take it for granted you're lucky! :grin:

4. PharmGirl

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! Yeah, I count my lucky stars that my family feels the way they do about sexuality. Of course, my family tries to make up for it by pissing me off about everything else, but that's family for you. :rolleyes:

I wasn't sure if I was missing some right of passage by not "really" coming out. But I guess in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter.

5. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

No I don't think it matters in your case because it seems to me like they already know so whats the point right? They know and they're comfortable with your sexuality, and yes that is what family does haha :slight_smile:

6. You're not missing anything really. Except maybe the agonizing time of wondering whether you'll be accepted, which is something we could all stand to miss! :slight_smile:

Honestly, I prefer the idea of 'being out' or 'living out' rather than coming out.

I no longer come out to anyone. I just go about my life as if everyone already knows about me. Or, I guess in other terms, I go about my life ignoring the fact that lots of people assume I'm not as queer as I totally am :lol: People who don't know me catch on or they ask me outright and I answer honestly and move on. I talk totally normally about my partner or about that queer theory class I took last semester or about the places I hang out and who I spend my time with (queer places with queer people), etc. i just live authentically and don't censor myself or second guess what I should show people and that is what I dub 'living out'.

It's nice to never have the conversation where I awkwardly explain to someone new in my life that I'm hella queer. I just pretend everyone knows, live my life, and then everyone knows! :thumbsup:

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could definitely officially come out if you want to. Maybe bring it up the next time you're with your mom and something gay in the news comes up. Say you know she'll be really cool about it and that it means a lot to you since not everyone has that support, but you just wanted to make it all official like. I bet she'll give you a big hug and it'll be a really nice moment. Be sure to tell her how awesome she is :icon_bigg