1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a bit lost

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Neutral, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Neutral

Well, ok, I'm just going to try and explain myself and my situation to the best of my abilities.
    I'm 14, I'll be 15 in August and a Sophomore in high school and I've had a girlfriend for about a month that's going to an out-of-state college in the upcoming school year. We're both biologically female and nobody knows/I don't even know if I identify as agender/demigirl yet but that's not part of the situation. Nobody knows of our relationships except for 2 of my friends and they both think I should be open about this to my mother, who once said that she would be supportive if I wasn't hetero, but the thing is that I'm not completely sure about this and she often has problems accepting people that are outside the normal/mainstream crowd, look or act differently, etc. and I'm afraid that she'd treat me differently if I told her even if she didn't mean it. She says that she's embarrassed to be seen with me in public sometimes (I recently shaved both sides of my head in a yolandi vi$$er style and she thinks it looks like I do drugs and she's a bad parent) and this could also affect my relationship with people from her side of the family who tend to be very judgmental and would be "ashamed" to be related to someone who did something they disapproved of. Also she's very conscious about my safety and would worry that I would be in a "pressuring" relationship since my girlfriend is about 3 years older than me. She's not pressuring at all though and asks if I'm okay with doing something before it happens. My dad on the other hand is very homophobic, not in a hatred or furious or "all gays go to hell" sort of way, but more of a joking way and enforces gay stereotypes and all, so I'm not sure how he would react, but I don't think he's going to be living with my mom and I anymore soon.
    I'm pretty worried and my family is in a tough situation right now with health and money problems, and although I don't think coming out should be a burden to my mom, she will take it that way and I don't want to create more problems that I didn't intend to create. Need some advice right now.