1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a big deal of it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by roryoswinpond, Jun 30, 2014.

1. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This may sound attention-seeking or whatever, but I'm really curious to see if I'm the only one who feels like this.
    So I came out to another of my friends today, he was fine and everything, but I always get the feeling people are afraid to ask questions and don't want to make a big deal of it. I would sort of like it if they did really, I don't know if that's a general thing or me being stupid. It's not that my friends aren't supportive I'd just like to be able to vent a bit more, make sense?

2. Kabuki

Yeah it does make sense. Actually after I came out through facebook at the beginning of this month after receiving support messages, people altogether stop asking about it. I don't believe is us trying to look for attention, but after hiding something for so long we would actually like to talk about it more. So no it is not just you, I'm sure more people actually feel like this.

3. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm glad someone else feels the same way! It was also the first time I'd come out in person, do I sort of had high expectations which weren't really met...

4. lovely lesbian

Yea I get that people might be scared at first but then ask loads of questions

5. jnr183

I feel the same exact way, Rory, and it's something I'm struggling with. It is something I feel like I really need to talk more about with my friends, but it's difficult to bring up and I kind of don't know where to start. I've felt that some of my friends seem afraid that they'll offend me - which to me seems like the most ridiculous idea. They are my friends! I just told them my deepest darkest secret! How could they possibly offend me?

On top of that I have a hard time bringing up my feelings and never feel like unloading my problems on others. And sometimes some pointed questioning would go a long way.

If others have had success with this I'd love to hear it. Nice topic!

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you.

7. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Yes I'm the same, when I do pluck up the courage to bring it up I feel like I'm annoying them...

8. Tardis221B

Yeah, I completely understand. After researching sexuality for so long, and discovering all of the fascinating nuances of it, I definitely want to have in depth conversations about it with my friends. But people just don't seem to want to ask questions, they seem to tip-toe around the subject. I think a big part of this is that society has made sexuality a taboo subject for most people. (I wish it wasn't.)

And when I do get the opportunity to talk about it with people, I wonder if I'm annoying them. I have so much to say about the subject, and I think I bore them when I turn the conversation into me rambling on and on about the beautiful complexities of sexuality. My advice here, which I will try to follow, would be to ask them questions to try to relate it to them, and encourage them to ask questions.

Also @roryoswinpond, awesome username :icon_wink