1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online life.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rocking23, Aug 27, 2008.

1. rocking23

This doesn't really go with the theme of the thread, but I need advice none the less.

I have a blog and I make video blogs. I have for probably 1 year and bit now. My parents never knew. Just tonight my dad was on the computer and decided to Google my name, which turned up my blog and video. My dad called my mom and they were watching my videos. When i came downstairs and saw them watching the videos it was kind of awkward and and embarrassing. They were smiling and said it was cool. This made me feel more uncomfortable.

Despite the fact they seemed fine with it, I now don't. I began to feel weird-ed out. I really liked blogging, I found it to be a stress release. But now, I just feel weird. The fact that they know and could go to it anytime sends a weird feel down my back.

I kinda feel like stopping now. But I don't want to make it look like I am just because they found out.

I'm kind of confused at what to do. I hope I portrayed my problem that makes it clear to understand. I also know this is a weird topic to try and respond to, I will understand if you just want to read and then pass.

To those who respond I greatly thank you for your help.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I can imagine that it must make you feel a bit uncomfortable given that it was something that you kept to yourself and maybe shared with your friends only. If blogging is a good way for you to relieve your stress, continue doing it. Don't stop it.

Maybe what would help, you could talk to your parents, and tell them that you are not too comfortable with the idea of them looking at your blogs. I am sure they will understand.

I hope this helps a bit.

3. rocking23

Thanks that made sense.
    You're right, it was mainly something that was between me and my friends.

Thanks for the advice.

4. RENThead

you could keep going...
    talk to your parents about how it is your release...

and maybe make a new username, so you cant find it if you google your name (and send your friends the link)

i would say just be careful from now on what you put in your blogs.
    just dont stop doing it if you love it

5. -Michael-

Ditto.

:icon_wink Maybe make an alias or something.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do tell your parents how uncomfortable it made you feel. I'd reassure them that you don't harbor any ill will towards them for doing it, but point out that you did mean it to be viewed by your friends rather than your family.

I like the idea of using a screen name from here on out. But don't shut them out completely, if at all possible. If there's a blog entry that you feel comfortable with them watching, upload it to your "real name" site as well, and let them know it's available.

Lex

7. Jim1454

All great suggestions...

Everyone needs to realize that the internet is public domain. If you are applying for a job your potential employer can also google your name, just as your parents did. They'll check out your myspace or facebook pages. The internet is just that - it's the internet. The first two w's in WWW are for WORLD WIDE!!! So beware of what you post and put out there. That's all.

8. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Crap.

9. silentsound

I would create a new blog and keep your parents out of it. I'm a writing blogger, and my parents know about my first blog which I update from time to time. I also have an anonymous blog which I write on every three or four days or so. I found it was a great solution to not wanting people I know to read what I wrote and even allowed me to be more open with my opinions and the things I was feeling. Don't stop, it really is great. I hope it all works out!