1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to tell my family the truth

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blacklipstick, Jul 1, 2014.

1. blacklipstick

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so, my father and older sister know that I am attracted to boys and girls (well, I actually think they have forgotten) but I'm actually pansexual (attracted to someone regardless of their gender and sex) meaning that I also have an interest in transvestites and what not. I would like to tell my father and sister about it so I can talk freely about all gender and sexuality identities but only thing is they don't really respect (what could be considered 'weird' or 'abnormal' to them) drag queens, transvestites and etc.. Any advice??

2. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I.... Well... A trans* person who identifies as male or female is male or female. You don't have to be pan to be attracted to them. What it means is genderqueer or gender fluid/non-binary people are also part of your range.
    People who like to dress in drag aren't between male and female because of that. They might be along with it, but it isn't the reason.

Before you slap a label on, find out what it entails.

:slight_smile:

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea well, if you say transvestite to anyone, they will automatically assume the cross dressers. and that's something they might have in mind when you tell them. i'd say explain it to them in the best way possible, to get them to understand.

4. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People are afraid of what they don't understand. So... Educate! :slight_smile: Hopefully they'll come around when they understand it a bit more.

5. blacklipstick

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do know what the meaning of pansexuality is. It's the emotional/sexual attraction towards a person regardless of their gender identity or sexuality, therefore myself having an attraction for a few transvestites that dress in drag at this period of time.

For your information, I do not just slap it on like a "label," I use the term to state that I can be attracted to anyone regardless. Not for pretentious reasons, which you most likely assume. I also include the drag scene as it can be big part of a person's identity, and I know that some people identity themselves just as a drag queen.

You shouldn't be so quick to snidely criticize someone you have no knowledge about.