1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People forgetting I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SensesFailX, Jul 2, 2014.

1. SensesFailX

So a few months ago I came out to my mom and some of my best friends. It wasn't the greatest coming out, but I didn't lose any friends and my mom was just upset but not mad at me.

Anyhow lately my guy friends have been talking about girls with me and showing me pictures like everthing is normal, like I'm still straight. And when I was working out doing crunches my mom said "good cause girls like guys with abs". Everyone, includind my mom, are also always trying to set me up with different girls even though I have a boyfriend.

I haven't talked about being gay since because it was so awkward. Did they forget? I dont really wanna come out again... Has this happened to you guys where people just forget? :confused:

2. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sigh; I just read your previous thread in conjunction and it seems your mother isn't taking this so well. To exist in denial like this after coming out - it's a violation of dignity, this failure to listen, this arrogant refusal to enter into dialogue. Your mother has not forgotten - sadly she's chosen to ignore and hope for straightness.

You should emphasise that you're gay and not likely to be with a woman anytime soon every time this happens, except when you think it's unsafe to do so. For your friends, you could do this lightly, with witty humour; I'd hope they'd come around quickly.

Edit: This is however a touchy situation, and I may have sounded too gung-ho; my experience here is limited. You must additionally consider whether waiting to press the point till financially independent/at university would be better.

#2 YaraNunchuck, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  3. Really

Sorry, meant to say I haven't experienced this but thought you could reply with something like this:

"Yeah. Thanks. Not going to happen. I appreciate you thinking of me but I'm good on the dating front."

#3 Really, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I only came out to my friends and they still talk to me about men , I know exactly how you feel .:dry:
    I started making jokes like when they bring up stuff with guys I say I don't bend that way but they still don't believe me guess it takes time but i hate it:tantrum:

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

if you're comfortable with it keep reminding them maybe? like dragging them back into realty, like "hey no this IS a thing and you're gonna have to confront it" like that's not what you say but that is the implication

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I feel sorry for you. There's nothing I hate more than this attitude.

7. calgary

Hey my brother and friend are the same way. They are always talking about girls with me. It's annoying but I think in their mind they are treating me the same as before. I guess I lied when I came out and said I didn't want anything to change. When it comes to trying to set me up on dates usually a causally. "If I wanted a girl friend I'd have one" gets the point across without being too mean.

8. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

My moter was the same way. It's taken a lot of time, and many talks, but she is getting slightly better. So... So slightly. And this is after a serious talk every day.

I suggest writing a letter so you can get wverything out and not get nervous.

9. mangotree

If I'm reading it right, I think it's kind of sweet that your guy friends are treating you exactly the same way that they did before - even though they know you're gay. Maybe they're just overdoing/exaggerating it a bit and don't realise.
    Many people would give their right ball to come out and then be treated like they're normal.

Also, being that it's only been a few months - they're probably just adjusting. Remember it probably took you years to get used to the idea that you're gay, it's worth giving them even a tenth of that time to do the same.
    Eventually they'll get the point, just try to exercise some patience.

I'm not saying they're doing the "right" thing by you. They're probably making your life more difficult than it needs to be. Just try to put yourself in their shoes though.

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh.
    Just trying to give another view.

Peace be with you (*hug*)

10. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your Mom: "Girls like guys with abs"

Your reply: "So do gay guys like me"

As for your friends, show them a picture of your boyfriend when they show you a picture of their girlfriends, and tell them that you think he is cute too. Be happy that they don't treat you any differently now.

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was going to suggest what Yossarian already did. Like he said, show picture of your bf or other guys you find attractive. Where is your bf when your friends and mom "forget" that you're gay? Maybe hang out with him more.

It could be that they are trying to be the same as before you came out, which is good, other than it doesn't make sense for them to be showing you the pics of women so much because you're not going to be attracted to them.

12. Theo022

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    They didn't forget, they can't accept and they try to change your mind.

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

My mom and I both say things like "oh look, he's cute" to eachother, but my I feel like my grandma thinks I should only pursue relationships with women.

14. CherylTunt

I told a friend of mine I liked both genders but preferred women, however she seems to completely ignore the fact that I'm into girls. For an example, I went with a (male bi) friend of mine on an "exploring trip" to a strip club (don't ask), when I told this female friend about the women in there, I literally couldn't stop talking about this girl in particular, and she misunderstood and thought I paid for sex (which I didn't). The bad part is, even though I had been talking about women literally all the time, she assumed I paid a man for sex. I asked her why she assumed that even though I couldn't shut up about that girl and she didn't know how to answer. Sometimes telling straight friends about your sexuality is pointless in a way because they seem to ignore it, specially if they're into the sex you don't like (or don't prefer).

15. SensesFailX

Thanks guys ^_^ I'm probably just going to forget about discussing my sexuality with my mom and friends. It kinda seems pointless, and i'm just glad they didn't take it TOO bad. Convincing themselves I'm straight is at least better than hating me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think i'm just gonna try and find some more supportive friends next year and go from there!

16. igoloo2946

My dad is somewhat the same as your mom, he is still in denial even after I had told him that I was gay. Sometimes even some of my faimly members who support me seem to have forgotten aswell, and they too will make certain comments like, "when are you going to bring a girl home?" and one time when my dad make a comment like that, my supporting grandmother said "who knows, you might find some day a girl that you like". It can be very confusing and frustrating but I'm only out to some friends and faimly members so maybe someday when I become openly gay, it will be easier for every to understand and aknowledge me.