1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of Coming Out to a Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by prussianblue100, Jul 2, 2014.

1. prussianblue100

So, I've already come out to my older sister. She's been super supportive of me and hasn't told anyone so far thankfully. Now, I have a little more courage to tell someone else.

There's this friend of mine that I have. Let's call her Laura (not her real name, but I've changed it for the sake of this post and her privacy). We've known each other since we met about three years ago in sixth grade. We've gone to each other's houses before and she's given me a few lovely gifts as well. We're pretty tight; we haven't gotten into any fights yet or anything.

I'm wanting to come out to Laura next time I visit. She's not homophobic as she has said once about gays, "It's love. If that's who they love, let them be together."

So, I'm planning to ask her something around the lines of this, "So, Laura. I've got something to tell you. What would you do if I wasn't attracted to guys, but instead, I liked girls?" I think she'll understand what I'm saying, but if she doesn't, I'll be like, "Laura. Did you not just hear me? I'm a lesbian. :dry:"

I think she'll be accepting of me, but I'm not so sure. What do you guys think? Is what I'm planning to say good or not? Just wondering. I would love to hear your take on this or any advice on the matter. Grazie! :slight_smile:

2. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are normally a sort of jokey person, you can try and make a sort of joke about it, so it's not so awkward.

But if you feel like she'll support you, you can't go wrong! :slight_smile:

3. prussianblue100

I'm sorta jokey sometimes. I guess I can try to add a little humor in there somewhere. Thanks for the advice. :slight_smile:

4. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i think it won't be awkward if you stick to your first plan, but a joke can also be a good idea.

once i came out in a sort of jokey way and it was funny, got two high fives after that :grin: