1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents always question my sexuality.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blaziken25, Jul 2, 2014.

1. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today I got into a fight. My parents always question me. It's my business and I sometimes wish I never told them :icon_sad: :icon_sad: I just want to live like a normal person.

2. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mum always said should be straight cos I'd. Make a great husband lol. I should marrry a man and make a great husband ;-)

3. mangotree

What kinds of questions do they ask?
    Is it possible that they're asking from a loving and caring place in their hearts?

4. hello1992

i think you have to accept the fact that no parent wants their child to be gay. I wouldn't want my child to be gay (not that i will have any). I am not being homophobic, but i would want my child to be happy and homosexuality is difficult...

They just want whats best for you. They possibly sense your pain and want to make sure that you are gay, because everything will be solved if you were not. I think with time, they will accept it, maybe once you get into a relationship. If not, sit with them and calmly ask them to trust you with this and respect your decisions. If you are asking this of them and they love you they should be ok with it

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you say more? Are the questions judgemental or offensive, or just general interest questions?

It's fairly common for people to ask questions when you come out. In fact, it's something we should pretty much expect as a minority group. Questions like "how do you know?" or "are you sure?" may seem challenging, or strange, but they are commonly asked questions.

Please remember, you have control of your reaction to the questions your parents ask. If you react negatively you set the tone for a negative conversation about your sexuality and may give off the impression that you are unhappy about being gay and haven't thought it through. If you remain positive and make a real effort to answer all questions (even the silly or frustrating ones) you will demonstrate a mature and confident attitude that shows how comfortable you are with being gay.

Take a deep breath, pause and be positive. It will make a difference.

6. AmiBee

I want my child to be happy. If he is gay or straight, that's fine with me. Parents need to open their minds and accept many possibilities for their children.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Make it clear that no matter what they say, your sexuality isn't going away any time soon, and they'll just have to find a way to deal with it.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

What did they say?

9. Archie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If your parents are anything like mine, and I think there's a good chance they are, I know what it feels like.

They keep asking me questions like 'when are you getting a girlfriend again? Why don't you have a girlfriend? Don't you like girls?' 'Do you ever want to get married? Do you want to have kids?' or just saying things like 'I really want to have grandchildren it'll be so much fun!' or 'when you're married you must be very sweet and caring to your wife' or 'now you drive a nice car and you're intelligent and good looking, I hope you're putting it to good use with the ladies' and the list goes on.

It's so annoying, it's like if you know I'm not straight, don't push it. If I haven't said anything so far, then that's because I'm not ready. If they were asking 'from a loving and caring place in their hearts' like someone up there put it, then maybe I'd come out, but they ask in such a demanding manner, clearly worried about my sexuality and how much they know about it and how much they have to brag about it to people. They're the kind of parents who want to have such a manly son, the kind that goes around having loads of sex and is constantly covered in ladies. And I'm not that guy, I'm sorry. And I wish they would just let it go cos it doesn't make things any easier and just brings us apart.

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They'll probably learn to accept it with time. Hang in there!