1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents are separating, and I'm not feeling much

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wander, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To make it brief, my parents are moving apart. Still married, and still (they say) in love, but not living together. My dad, sister, and I are staying in the house we've lived in for the last seven years, and my mom is moving to an apartment not too far away. My sister, much younger than I, was torn to pieces, but oddly...I'm not that upset about it. I do still like my parents, and I'm not particularly angry at either of them, but I've had very strong and reasonable suspicions for weeks now. Maybe that lightened the blow when they finally confirmed it, but it feels like I'm supposed to be a little more than indifferent. Hell, I was calm enough to sit there for an hour afterward and made my new sig in MSPaint. But back to the original topic, is there any sort of general advice about this situation? My mom is moving out on Saturday, and I'm not sure what the visiting schedule is going to look like, but I wanted to ask if there's anything general I might want to know.

2. Jonathan

Well, I dont know exactly how much help I'll be since my parents got divorced when I was 3.
    But moving on, don't take your parents seperation as a 100% bad thing, because it probably won't be. I'll go back to me as an example. My family today wouldn't be the same if my parents didnt seperate. It was because they seperated that my dad met my step-mom and that my mom met my step-dad. It was because of the seperation that I got 4 stepsisters, a stepbrother and my little half-brother. My step-parents, my siblings and I get along amazingly and we've had so many great times together. I love my family so much, I dont know what I would do without them, and it was the seperation that caused all of us to get together, so good things can come from the seperation.

As for the visiting schedule, when my dad moved out, the schedule was that he got my brother and I every tuesday and every other weekend. Not sure it it'll be the same for you, but that was just how it was for me.

Hope this helps a little bit.

3. Jim1454

I don't think you necessarily should have been REALLY upset. If you had your suspicions then this probably didn't come as a shock. It might be possible that you'll have a delayed reaction to this... so be aware of your moods and how you're interacting with others. You might be more upset than you realize. Perhaps you're staying calm for the benefit of your little sister, and to ease the guilt that your parents are proabably feeling.

So remember to think about yourself too - and what you need from other people. OK?

Just because two adults decide they can't live together any more doesn't mean that it had anything to do with the kids, or that they love their kids any differently, or they are any less committed to their kids. Hopefully your parents can maintain a positive and cooperative relationship when it comes to issues surrounding you and your sister.

I'm glad your mom is going to live close by. I live close to my wife and daughters, so I get to see them quite often. They stay with me every other weekend.

Be sure to communicate and ask questions. I'm sure they'd be very happy to talk to you about it. They'll be worried sick about how your handling this, so share any concerns with them and let them know too if you're feeling ok about everything.

Good luck. It's a tough time, but you'll all get through it.

4. Miles D

My parents are recently separated, and I didn't take it too hard, either. I mean, it sucks, especially for my little brother who is only 11 and has to deal with going back and forth when my parents physically split a.k.a. buy another place.
    But I don't feel to surprised, and since I don't live at home it's not a big deal for me. And a few years ago my mom told me if it weren't for us kids they'd have split a while ago.
    So I am feeling sorta the same right now. Sorta like "umm... so what now?" ...haha...

5. Louise

I'm sorry to hear that your parents are splitting up, it is always a painful time for everyone but if you can take it as well as you are you are helping to a make a difficult situation just that little bit easier to bear.

As for visiting and stuff, the best thing is to let your parents know what YOU want and need from then and then let them sort it out. You are old enough to go and see your mum when you want or to accompany you sister over to your mum's if there is no one available to take her.

Parents spliting up doesn't have to be the end of the world and I don't think it has to unduely upset you, of course you may be feeling unsettled and unsure but this is normal in any change of lifestyle but upset, not necessarily.