1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in high school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShadowsRunner, Jul 5, 2014.

1. ShadowsRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im going into my senior year coming up at 17, I have been thinking about just coming out to my friends, (not announcing to the whole school). The possible reactions and issues with this I have been trowing around for a while now and just want to stop holding this in. Hoping that this would bring me and my friends closer and even find new friends that can be gay or bi. Does anyone have advice before I tell people?
    Thanks,
    -ShadowsRunner

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are the possible reactions and issues?

3. PaganPoetry

I think would depend on how your friends are like, I came out to most of my friends and family during my highschool years but I didn't really have any friends that were even slightly homophobic so I had that luck and I already knew that about them (even though I did go to a catholic highschool) and I was rather a feminine guy there at school so most people suspected me...some people though may not take it as well so it's best to try to avoid telling those people, also make sure to tell people you can trust and have been friends for a while because I do remember this one girl at my school who tried outing me to people but would pretend like we were friends or something......

4. ShadowsRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The real issues I can only foresee are calling me names or something because anyone of my friends know I stand up for myself. And all my friends know my stance on issues like gay marriage and majority of them have the same views as I do. I do know however that there was a student who graduated two years ago that was openly gay and had issues with people making fun of him and calling him names. However I do think coming out to them would shock many since I don't fit the stereotypical gay/Bisexual guy.

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Typically, if they have the same views as you, they shouldn't be shocked that you're bisexual.

The student you're talking about was openly gay, and you said you were only going to be out to your friends. Choose the ones you think will support you most, and then, if you feel like it, come out to the rest.

6. ShadowsRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya some of them may not be surprised I'm bisexual however like I said I don't fit the stereotypical gay/ bi picture since I play sports and do guys stuff just like a straight guy. And I would come out to my friends but if someone was to ask me I would just tell them so its alittle more then just my friends I could possible tell.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Man, there are straight guys who love shopping, paint their nails sparkly pink, and have stuffed unicorn toys in their bedroom. It doesn't have to deal with your sexuality at all.

You said yourself that you stand up for yourself, so if you decide to tell anyone who asks, just be strong and confident. Look them in the eye and say, "Yeah. Do you have a problem with that?"

Usually, people just stop there, but if they quote some bullshit line from the bible or something, then just laugh in their face and walk off.

It's your life, not theirs.

8. ShadowsRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I see your point, I'm just trying to see if its worth it to just tell them now or after high school and not deal with any drama that happens, but like you said its my life not theirs.

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like Witchcraft said, it really depends on how your friends are like. Even if people begin to tease and bully you, if you have your friends to back you up, it won't be as bad.

I wish you good luck. Coming out has always been hard for me, and it's hard for others too. I hope all goes well!

10. ShadowsRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, I hope it gets easier for you to tell people. Best of luck.
    -ShadowsRunner

11. jacevalcheck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've told a few people and they have all taken it pretty well. The only guy I told took it okay and the girls I've told were great about it. I'm not friends with people who are homophobic though and made sure that the people I told wouldn't tell anybody else unless I told them to. I would suggest only telling people who you know would be okay with it like your friends who are pro gay marriage. They will be likely to take it well, but there are no guarantees. In my opinion, it's worth a few days of slight awkwardness to have someone you can talk to and have at your back.

12. ShadowsRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya I'm already close to them it would just give me the ability to talk about everything I want now if they know.