1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by user123456, Jul 7, 2014.

1. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so I will try to keep this as short as possible while providing all of the information.

I am 20 years old and after a lot of thinking of confused feelings, I've came to the conclusion I am bi. I am 100% sure since I have had sexual dreams of both sexes, I'm attracted to both sexes, etc.

Well I was in a relationship with a girl for almost 4 years. I loved her, the relationship has been going smoothly and we had a wondferful time together. The only problem was that I was having problems in sex due to my fucked up circumcision. I can't feel much during sex, I could only climax once during sex out of the hundred or so tries, only thanks to not masturbating for three weeks. Well that was giving me a hard time, but it would be bearable if not for the other problem.

About a year ago, I realized I love my best friend (male). We know each other for some 10 years, we have always been great pals and lately we share everything together. I always knew I had a thing for him slightly, but I just thought it's just great friendship.

Well, but a year ago, I was in a pretty fucked up emotional state because of the sex problems, and he was there to comfort me, and I think only then did I really emotionally unstrain myself and realized that I felt much more towards him than just friendship.

To make it worse, through all these years he would often say "I love you" to me in a joking tone, sometimes he would just start to massage my shoulders randomly, or scratch my head gently, lay his head on my belly when we layed next to each other, even massaged my nipple two weeks ago after we got drunk, etc. Granted, he is a sportsman (not sure if you know but sportsmen always kind of push the borders in their locker rooms). But even now when we talk on FB or something, he always, in a joking manner, makes remarks about how he'd like to have sex with me etc.

We live together in the same room with him and another best friend, since we all study in the same city. Well once we went clubbing, I ended up pretty drunk and making out with a girl, but nothing more and we went back home, it was like 4AM, and after I took a shower, I wanted to go to my bed, he just said "Will you come to me?", despite the other friend being there too, with a girl. So I came and laid beside him, we chatted friendlily for another hour or so, and then I said "I think I should go to sleep, we have school tommorow" and he hugged me with one of his arms saying "no don't go yet" but I wasn't ready for anything and was actually getting a boner so I left anyway.

On the other hand though, he's had loads of girls through the years, specially last year, he's had like 20 one night stands over the summer. And he used to date a girl back when he was 12 or so, they broke up when they were 14 but he confessed he still loved her, and actually they got together again last year before X-mas. He's also always said he is 100% sure about his straight sexuality when people made fun of him for wearing a pink T-shirt, back when we were smaller and stupid.

So all in all, he claims he is straight, he has a girlfriend he said he dreamed about for years, but I'm also 99% sure he has feeling for me, because what he says and especially does to me absolutely surpasses any definition of friendship.

Well to finally conclude, for the last year, I was pretty fucked up because of this, because I realized I loved him more than I do love my girlfriend, no matter how much I liked her, so I had to break up with her two months ago because it just wasn't fair to her. I didn't tell her about this though, I just said I didn't love her as much I used to anymore and that I'm not ready for a relationship now, because of the sexual problems too (which is true).

And almost every day I see him, since we live together, he keeps teasing me, but I am too scared to tell him anything. Worst thing is, I really can't stop thinking about this, coupled with the fact it caused the break-up. When we go out for a beer with our friends, I soon get quiet and closed in myself because I can't stay with him for too long, when we go to the shop or whatever together, I feel so awkward. Also, I study architecture, and these constant thoughts creeping into my head have completely fucked up my freshman year results, and I know that if I don't solve my problems until the 2nd grade, I can just give up because I will keep producing shit stuff in school. I also feel like I'm missing out on my life, I couldn't be with my gf, then there was a female classmate who I really liked too, she liked me back, but I couldn't make any move because I wasn't sure where I am currently in my life.

I just can't live like this anymore, and so, after a year of bouncing my thoughts back and forth, I've decided I need to tell him. I know I can't demand him to leave his GF for me or anything, I just need to get it out of myself, or I will never be able to move on. The problem is, I am extremely worried I will lose the friendship because of this (and I most probably will). And it's not just the friendship with him, I will have to move out of the appartement, leaving the other best friend and other 2 friends in the appartement. Also, we are all part of a bigger, amazing group of friends, that I spent 10 amazing years of my life with, and I just can't imagine not being around them anymore.

But unfortuately this is the risk I have to take, since as I said, staying in this same position would literally drive me crazy and fuck up my situation even more. Thank you if you managed to read it all the way down here. What I need now is advice on how to bring it up to him? Any body got experience with something similar? Maybe there is a way of telling him and not losing him anyway?

Thanks again if you've read it all and I hope you can help me. Also, sorry for the wall of text (which I claimed I wouldn't write) but I needed to get all the details out.

2. foamfloater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It sounds like your friend is into you too but is not ready to admit it to himself yet.
    If you are ready, you should say how you feel. But he might not be ready to come out to himself yet.. if he is not you should respect that, and try to find another place to focus your emotions. (dating? coming out?)
    Its hard to put your friendship on the line but at this point it sounds more like torture for you than a healthy relationship. The positive thing is that you have learned something about yourself!! Also you are quite young and probably your group of friends will shift over time anyways as people start to leave for school, jobs, relationships, etc. You will maintain contact with the people who matter, dont worry.
    I had a very similar situation a couple of years ago with a female friend. It was hell... and no, we are not close any more. But it DID force me to face myself, which is a very good thing. : ) good luck to you!!!!

#2 foamfloater, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  3. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

First off, thank you for being brave enough to share your story.
    It really touched me, it's quite the affectionate tale. :slight_smile:

Now, there is no way you can continue to live like this.
    I... doubt that you would have to leave your whole social circle and your best mate.

If he has been your best mate for that long, the friendship shouldn't be able to be broken by your coming out to him. And let's not forget he has made advances himself...

I wish you the best of luck, and if he still does it sometimes, the touching and cuddling and all, I'd wait for the next time he tries to have you close. When you're alone. Be honest... there is no way but to face your feelings, I think. Maybe it'll turn out better than you think.

4. Archie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Welcome to the club.

I really know how you feel. I'm unsure how to approach my friend but I guess I could just slip into that matter when we're talking about relationships, or about a friend in common who we think might be gay, or maybe say I'm not 100% happy and I'd like to share the reason for that, I don't know...

But I don't think you should let him know about your feelings straight away. It could be hard enough for him to be okay with your sexuality without him knowing you have feelings for him. When you've known someone for that long and you've lied so much about being straight, it could be a lot to take on its own. And then if he does have feelings for you, I guess you'll have to wait for him to admit that. I don't like to be forced to come out based on people's suspicions of me, so I wouldn't do it to anyone else. If he's not ready to deal with it, then that's a shame...

Only thing is you can never know how he truly feels about you just based on all that teasing and nipple twiddling and 'I want to have sex with you' jokes. Speaking from experience, we tend to read too much into things because we're hopeful the other person feels the same as us. I'm not saying he can't be into you, but it's not a given. But let's hope he is :slight_smile:

5. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks a lot everyone for the replies, it helps a lot talking with others about it. I agree with all you said, so I'll just adress the special points:

I know that he would never tell me "I don't want to see you ever again". But the point is, that I probably can't stay around him anymore, because it is driving me nuts. And if I have to avoid him, I have to avoid the other friend too, because we do most things together. You say my friendships will shift - which they definitely have with the transition to university. But these two guys are -the friends-, and it's tearing me apart that I will probably have to lose at least one, if not both.

He's most probably into me too, in some way, but it could be in a completely different way. Of course that I am not very objective in this matter, but the frequence and overall duration and persistence of his "moves" really seem too much to mean nothing.

Well technically I've never claimed to be straight, although I definitely never claimed to be anything else, which is probably the same.

You're right, that's pretty much what I came here for. I really have no idea how to approach him with this, without being too straightforward, because I can imagine how intimidated I would be if someone confronted me with something like this, especially if the feeling wouldn't be there from my side.

6. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As someone who has been on both sides of a crush: if you value the friendship, I'd start by being more circumspect about it. Meaning, not jumping in with "I think I love you" (which is scary to have someone spring on you suddenly no matter what your orientation is), but starting off a little more gently, always giving him the chance to back away if he starts to feel uncomfortable.

I suspect that if you've been withdrawn lately, he may already have noticed that something's wrong, depending on how close you are and how insightful he is. First thing would be to wait for a place and time when you both have some privacy and are not inebriated (it's easier to start when you're drunk, but harder to stop and harder to keep things light. Trust me on this.). I'd first tell him that you've been feeling confused about your sexual orientation. If he doesn't freak out, I'd tell him that you'd like to remain his friend, but that you think you have developed feelings for him beyond friendship (or that you've developed an attraction to him that you're not sure how to deal with).

I'd try to keep it light at first, you could tell him that you've been acting strange around him lately because you're feeling unsure about your feelings, but I don't think I'd tell him that you broke up with your girlfriend over him specifically. Where you go from there depends on his response.

If you want to remain friends with him, I strongly suggest accepting a rejection at any stage at face value, and not pushing it any further -- this is spoken from hindsight from my own mistakes -- I know how hard it is to deal with a crush (there's a good reason they're called that), but if you want to keep a friend you sometimes have to let it go.

7. Chubba

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just went through this a couple of days ago with my best friend. I got the signs that you did cuz hes a jokester too. And my friends engaged. When I came out to him, he told me he had one experience with a guy and understood where I am coming from. If you trust your friend like he trusts you...he'll accept you and be there for you. And who knows....it might plant the seed in his head that its ok to be secure with you to share things he wouldn't tell other people too. As far as having the crush on him....I would not blurt it out and personally stay friends if hes unavailable.

8. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks again for the replies, and with them in mind, I will post these clarifications:

Worst thing is, I don't really know what I want. I want him, can't deny that to myself, but on the other hand, I value him much more as a friend, than I want him as a partner or what. Problem is, I can't be friends with him anymore. I thought time would heal that, but it's not getting any better. If it was up to me, I would love to be back with my gf and him as my best friend, my life used to be so much easier and happier back then, but my undermind just won't let me.

I wish I had the balls to tell him sooner, when he was still single, that would have made the talk much easier for him at least.

Also, about the break-up:
    My now ex-gf studies in a different city, architecture is extremely time demanding, and on top of that I play in two bands and participate in scouting etc... so we only saw each other like once in two weeks for a night, had sex which only made me down coz of my problems, which slowly made the relationship unbearable for me, because all of the great times we used to have together, got replaced by unsatisfying sex. I know it may sound like a silly reason to some, but really, it builds up over time, and when everything you try doesn't work, you get fed up. Well and couple that with the realization about my feelings towards my friend.

That's what I told my friend (except the crush ofc), because he noticed I was acting weird and I told him I want to talk about something. So he knows something's up with me, but he thinks he knows the whole story, which he doesn't.

All in all I am still pretty confused on what I want, but I definitely know that this is something I need to solve. I need to tell him, whatever he replies. I'm expecting that even if he had feelings for me, he will choose his gf, obviously, and actually I think that's the best way this can end. Maybe, I hope at least, that after the talk I will be able to let the crush go and become a friend of him again.

I just need to talk to him, and I can't find the balls to do it. All your advice is helping me a lot, so thanks again everybody who replied, I think that when I will prepare for all the predictable turns the conversation can take, I will be ready to bring it up when the time seems right.

9. Archie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Literally me.

I suppose one way of bringing it up could be saying: 'so do you know how we talked about me not being completely happy the other day? Well there is another reason for that which I didn't tell you'.

That's the best I can come up with for the time being. I wish I were more creative seeing as I'm in a similar situation...

10. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    That actually sounds Like a great opener, Thanks!

Today ive been With him again and i came to realize That his feelings towards his gf are much stronger than towards mÄ› anyway. All i Want Is to get This burden Off my heart, i Know i cant be With him. I just Want to let It Out and be free again.

PS: excuse The Random Caps and stuff, czech Phone cant handle english

11. foamfloater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good luck! It sounds like you understand his position too, and will be ready to have a talk in a positive and undemanding frame of mind. No matter what happens Im sure you will feel better once you have cleared the air and can move on emotionally.. <3

12. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks foam, I hope you are right.

I've read similar stories on this web, read my own words in this thread again and thought about this whole thing once more, and came to this conclusion:

I don't want a relationship with him, because I know it wouldn't work out, he wouldn't want it, and I can't really imagine myself in a serious gay relationship no matter how hard I try, despite probably inclining towards men more sexually.

I am absolutely 100% positive though that I mean a lot to him too, and that when I tell him, he will not try to remove me from his life. I think that by telling him and releasing the pressure, I will be able to overcome this and make our friendship even better.

In a week, we are both going to the same summer camp as instructors, I hope I will find a good opportunity to tell him there. I might need to set up an ultimatum for myself. I'm having big trouble talking about myself IRL, and when I wanted to tell him about my problems earlier, I had to write a message on FB telling him I need to talk about something, and then it took me like five minutes before I forced myself to press Enter. So I guess I might need to go that way.

Well this thread has become more of a personal public diary by now :grin: but it's helping, I think this situation has taught me another thing too - diaries are not stupid thing for little girls, they really help you sort your head out when you're confused.

Once again, thanks everyone for your input, I am finally feeling motivated to do a step forward instead of just tumbling in the darkness like I was in the past months! Whatever the outcome is, I need to do this to become myself again!

13. Archie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Omg writing about your thoughts and feelings is SO helpful! Glad you realised that eventually!

But yeah anyway, good luck and do come back to tell us how it went :slight_smile:

14. Candace

Well, thank you for sharing your story. That was really bold of you. I wouldn't be surprised if your friend had feelings for you as well and would reciprocate those. Please update us on how everything goes :slight_smile: Too much suspense!!

15. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    It will be bold once I manage to tell him, writing anonymously on the internet is easy :frowning2:

I will definitely update you guys once I get to do this.

16. ABeautifulMind

Its funny that sounds exactly like my story was about... 4 years ago. I wish I could help but I was no where near ready back then to say anything so I never did. My friend moved way since, but I still sort of regret it. Good to see you are going to talk to him, and I wish you all the luck.

Also I agree that this may be the ush hat he needed to come out. I know most of those jokes are typical straight behavior, but the "i want to have sex with you" jokes are not.

Lastly I actually just today started keeping a journal/diary for writing my thoughts down, and I was surprised it really does make things seem better.

17. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I hope that my experience will at least give some food for thought to others in the same boat as me, so they will not wait for a year like me, or 4 years like you, living the unknown.

There's such a terrible fight within myself, one moment I want to tell him everything but the other I get so scared that I will lose the friendship. I wish I could just stop liking him this way, but time has proven I only want him more and more :frowning2:

Every day, I realize deeper and deeper than I need to get over this. One year of my life was de facto lost in darkness, when just a few minutes of honest speech might fix the situation. I must not back out of this, I must not give up!

18. ABeautifulMind

Well I quit waiting when he moved.... I figured he moved, I moved on... but your right in the sense you always wonder what if... but he used to joke the same way and do most of what you said, but never joked saying he wanted to have sex with me or I would may have said something... I had a thing for him for sure, but I was terrified, like you i suppose, and he never gave any "clear" sign... i know he hasnt given you one either, but that joke about having sex may be the closest you could hope for without talking to him about your feelings... have you considered just coming out to him? not telling him your feeling just yet to see how he handles that? I would bet he would be fine, and maybe he would come out obviously not right then, but after it sinks in that you placed that much trust in him he can do the same with you, if he is actually gay.

Anyways, I really hope this works in your favor, I am interested to know how this goes... keep us posted :slight_smile:

19. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have thought of that, but I can't imagine "just coming out to him". He will ask how did I come to this conclusion, which guy do I like? Saying only something like "I'm checking out guys as well on the beach." wouldn't be enough of an answer.

I've never felt anything towards a guy otherwise, only him. So just saying I'm bi, and then not saying anything else, would once again be just a partial truth and I don't want to delve into that again, he's had enough partial truths from me already.

If I just came out to him, he would realize it is not the full truth anyway. If I told him something like that, he will know the truth anyway. But I want to be honest with him, finally in a year, to be 100% honest.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2014 at 03:49 PM ----------

To clarify, I don't plan to tell him "I love you!!!!!!!!" but something along the lines of what Dragoness said:

#19 user123456, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  20. Chubba

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You and I are at the same crossroads. I just came out to my best friend one week ago as having an attraction for guys. And he is comfortable with it and says I can talk to him anytime. And the reason why is because I threw hints and when I knew he was open minded and supportive...then I felt comfortable enough around him to let him know that I am attracted to guys(but not comfortable to tell him I like him for the same fears you did).