1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friends in high school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by login864, Jul 7, 2014.

1. login864

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey!
    I came out to my parents a few months ago, who are fine with me being gay. Of course they'll have to get used to the thought (they are already progressing, although I am not out to my brother, therefore we barely talk about it). I want to come out to my older brother as well, of whom I know he'll be taking the news okay. My close family is really accepting! :slight_smile: (I'm still a bit nervous about telling him though.)

So, I'm planning on telling a friend or two in the beginning, and eventually coming out to more and more people. (Before I go on I'll have to say that here in Budapest being gay isn't as accepted as in more developed countries.) In my high school though, there are quite a few accepting people (mostly girls in my opinion, if we are talking about gays).

So I've been thinking about telling a girl, but my problem is that I don't want to come out in school, it would be better in a place where it's just the two of us. How do I ask a girl to meet me somewhere, without it seeming as if it was a date?

I also have to add that people don't suspect, I think, that I'm gay, since I'm quite masculine. Only clues could be:
    • I rarely talk about girls,
    • I'm with girls much more than other guys in the class,
    • When I'm with girls, and they start talking about a boy, I always get interested, and start asking questions about the guy(s). I rarely start a conversation about boys, and I want to talk about them all the time!! :lol:

There was the Budapest Pride :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: recently, and I brought it up when I was talking with this girl (she's straight), and she told me that she wanted to go, but she had family program. She also asked me if I went, but when she asked me I quickly said nope and switched topic. :tears: I'm so stupid. Anyway, I was thinking about telling her first, but I don't know how to be with her (just the two of us), without it seeming like I'm asking her out.

I hope you guys get it. Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

2. Candace

I think that you should just say if you'd like to go get a bite to eat something or get some coffee. I mean, if she has to think that every guy who asks this is trying to ask her out on a romantic date, then that's her fault not yours. I would think that at this point, she knows that something is up. I always found that my friends knew and suspected more than I had imagined originally. They're not stupid or naïve :grin:. She'll be happy that she has you as a friend to talk about boys, etc. and that you confided in her with this important piece of information. Go for it and let us know how everything goes.

By the way, your English is amazing :grin:

3. login864

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the compliment! :slight_smile:
    Eh oui, tu as raison! :grin: I'll try inviting her for a cup of coffee or something, and then I'll tell her I'm gay. We are going to meet on Wednesday or Thursday anyway, maybe I'll ask her then to grab something to eat or drink, just the two of us.
    Thanks for the advice! :slight_smile:
    I'll definitely tell you guys how it goes! :slight_smile:

4. the gypsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good luck. I think your friend will support you, she sounds nice. :]

5. login864

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to one of my friends! She was nice about it. She already knew kinda.
    And I have a boyfriend now! He's cute :slight_smile:

6. etcetera

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nicely done. Do we get to hear the story of how you two met?

7. Candace

Congratulations! :eusa_clap(!). I'm really happy for the good news and that you're happy :slight_smile:.

8. the analyst

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congrats dude! <3

9. login864

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well we met on t umblr. I somehow found his blog, it was quite obvious that he is gay, and I started following him. Then he followed back, I liked his post he liked mine, blah blah blah... Then I started searching for him on fb. I didn't know his name yet, but I saw his picture and I also found out that we had a friend in common, so I started scrolling down the friends list of the mutual friend. After a while I recognized him. I was so happy, and I added him. I also found out that he's coming to my high school next year.

So... he confirmed my friend request. I was nervous but after a while I wrote him a message. Something like I've seen you are going to attend my high school, and so we started talking. He said that he was waiting for me to write. :slight_smile:

By now we've been chatting for hours, and he asked me whether I wanted to meet. I said yes and we met in a few days. Of course we chatted a lot, so I got to know him, before we met. :slight_smile: He's very sweet!

10. etcetera

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aww... All them feels...

11. the analyst

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sounds totally sweet :3 You had quite a luck with the fact that he will be going to your highschool and that he liver near enough to meet IRL XD