1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Derek the Wolf, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Derek the Wolf

So I told a few people at my school that I'm bisexual. Well by now, my entire class knows. Everyone is making fun of me, maliciously. I don't handle this stuff well. I only have one friend at that school, Brad. I asked to go over to his house to talk to him this weekend. He says he doesn't want to hang out. He said he'd be there for me, and now he's totally ignoring me. I don't have anyone to talk to, can you guys give me anything. For the first time in over three years, I'm actually crying. I... Help me out here guys, my best friend isn't.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Derek! I'm sorry about the situation in which you are finding yourself in.

Is there someone that you could talk to about it, say a teacher? Try to talk to someone at your school, even if you have to go to the principal. You should not have to go through this. The other thing you can try is if someone is making fun of you try ignore it as best as you can. Usually those that engage in making fun of others are looking for a reaction, which they can use again against that person. Try not to react to that. Don't look at them. Just pass them. With time they will stop because there is nothing that keeps it going.

If you find that Brad is not much help or if he is ignoring you when you need his help, than I think it would be good if you would try making some new friends. You might want to look into joining a GLBT group in your community. Having that support can be very helpful.

I hope this helps a bit!

#2 Mirko, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  3. kramer362

I think if you react like you aren't embarrassed about being bisexual they should stop making fun of you once the fun for them wears off. The fun in making fun of people for stuff like that is to get them angry or upset. It's shitty as hell but that's how a lot of people are at that age, probably mostly because people are just happy to not be the ones being targeted. Don't act intimidated by it, and as for Brad, ask him what's up. Tell him you're sorry if your sexuality is that big of a deal to him, enough to get in the way of your friendship. Ask him if he's brave. Brave enough to not be a homophobe.

My advice isn't really based on a similar experience to yours, but I think it would help. I got made fun of some when I was a lot younger, and I think it was mostly how I reacted that made it keep going. I was really shy and had no confidence. If you act like there's nothing to be embarrassed about maybe you can change peoples attitudes, that's probably a bit optimistic for high schoolers though...

4. Derek the Wolf

I think I'm going to see the counselor after school. Unfortunately I don't have a driver's license. There are no GLBT groups in my town, and the closest would be half an hour away. I can't really ask my parents to drive me out there for something like that, one of 'em doesn't even know yet.
    I do my best to ignore these people, but it still gets to me. My military academy isn't exactly the best place for me to be right now. I would honestly transfer to a different school, but I'm a senior.

5. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

i know how much this really sucks but i just found out that in my county even saying "thats gay" in a bad way can get you arrested!!! who knew>??

6. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is a good idea to see the counselor.

Try not to let it get to you. Often teens make fun of others just to be cool around their friends. You know who you are. Try telling yourself that you are better than they are and they can't do anything to you. I know it can be hard but you can do it.

7. Derek the Wolf

I thought about writing some long update about what happened, but instead I'm going to use emoticons.

:tears: :dry: (*hug*) :eek: :thumbsup: (*hug*) :icon_bigg

8. Dazed

Dazed Guest

be gay and proud :]
    if people know something bothers you then they get something out of it.
    just ignore it.
    and if u ever need a friend people on here are really nice

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks like that you have gone through bit of a roller coaster during the last couple of days and perhaps today as well? I hope you were able to see a counselor and that you could talk about some of the things. It looks like your are doing okay again. Hope all is well.

10. Derek the Wolf

Thanks Asteroid. I didn't exactly talk to a counselor. But I talked to Brad and we worked everything out. And that surprised emoticon is when I told my theology teacher after class that I like guys in an all guy school. That kinda added a twist to an emotionally scattered day. But yes, I'm doing much better. I love EC.

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Be strong...just remember this is your last year :slight_smile: .