1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you have came out as trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ali101xx, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Ali101xx

Ali101xx Guest

Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't came out about my gender identity yet and was wondering how other coming out experiences have been?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out.

All I can say is that my parents definitely still love and care for me, but they don't understand or accept yet.

3. KayJay

I came out last May, I believe it was. I told them I feel like I am transgender, they didn't even know what that meant so I explained. Then they asked about my sexuality and I just said to them I was bi, they didn't care about that one bit to be honest. They were just freaked out about the gender stuff.

We ended up going to these group meetings for the youth and their parents (though I was quite past the youth age limit they let me go anyways). The parents went in one room with counselors and the youth went in a separate room with counselors and we just talked about things. After those meetings that summer they are accepting, not too supportive really. They use my name now, especially after it was officially changed. They even still flub up the pronouns a year later but I guess I can't blame them. Sometimes I feel like they do it on purpose though which gets me upset.

Look at me writing my life story.

TL;DR Yes I came out as trans to my dad and step mother.

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm out for my sexuality, but only my mom knows about my gender. I don't see much of a point telling everyone because they would just say "Huh?". I suppose I'll have to tell them eventually, maybe when at my wedding they say something like "Do you take this person to be your lawfully wedded spouse" people will ask me. I would tell anyone who actually asked.

5. stormborn

i'm out to my parents recently, and while we haven't really talked about it, they say they support me.

6. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I came out to my parents last year though a letter, at first they didn't understand at all. Then my mom came around and has been very supportive, while my Dad's still adjusting he to has been supportive, letting my socially transition and go on blockers. It's probably better to actually tell them rather than write a letter though, but I didn't know how to say it.

7. itsAli

I told my mum, and I went into detail the research I've been doing because she's prone to thinking things are phases. She was fine with it after asking me questions to see if I'm sure.
    All my friends were cool with it too
    Good luck with coming out, I'm sure things will be okay

8. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to my close friends (a group of around 15 of us) and have been since I was out of the questioning stage, who all are accepting and use my preferred name and pronouns around people I'm already out to. They're pretty amazing friends.

Just came out to my therapist a few weeks ago (yay!), though I've yet to tell her what I go by. She's also accepting, and thank God she already knew about non-binary identities.

My parents I came out to last year, but the problem with them is that they really don't understand the whole trans* thing. My mom is slightly more open to trying to understand, but my dad is just outright oldschool and uneducated, and occasionally (unintentionally) says some transphobic things. He's not outright transphobic--just, uneducated. I'm already talking to my therapist about trying to re-educate my parents about gender, then hopefully I'll be able to finally start changing my gender expression in the process so that I can feel more like myself.

I think part of it is that I'm just lucky to be in such a supportive circle. It's been a scary process coming out, though my worries for some parts were actually more that people wouldn't understand non-binary identities than being accepted. I'd already had experience having to come out with a queer sexuality beforehand, so my logic was that if they didn't accept me for who I was, they didn't deserve to be someone I could call a friend, or someone I respected. It will always be a little nerve-wracking coming out, but just remember that it'll be okay, one way or another.

9. Sorceress of Az

My closest friends know, but I don't have the courage to tell my family.
    I am 26, and I use to try not to think about it, I use to be in denial about it.
    It's taken me until just this year to come to terms with it and my orientation.

I am not even sure how to go about telling my parents, because their both traditional Christians that hate that sort of thing. My intention is to move out of my parents house, then tell them.

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recently came out to a friend of mind who is also in the community. She accepts me. My gender therapist knows.

11. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't come out to my family yet, but I have come out to the friends I feel I can trust. I have a few friends I need to address things with, but I'm still trying to get a read on them and gauge their reactions.The friends I'm out to took the news well. some of them had questions, but mostly it was just a clarification of a few basic things they didn't quite understand. Overall, I haven't had any bad experiences yet.

But I'm terrified of my family's reaction. I just really don't want them to handle it badly. Although I think they might be at least semi-aware of it at this point anyway. I'm starting to foresee myself coming out to my dad and him just turning around and going, "well no shit".

12. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm out to some of my friends. My best friend was the first and the easiest, I didn't even have to tell him outright, he already knew. All I said was there was something I realized about myself, something major that made my life finally make sense. His response? "You're a gay man trapped in a woman's body." Even if he was half joking, that's pretty damn insightful.

My other friends have been extremely supportive and I've become closer to a few of them because of it.

My family doesn't know. I honestly don't know how or when that will happen... I think I can even come up with an excuse for top surgery without telling them I'm trans. Sometimes I think my mom wouldn't be surprised but other times I don't think she'll like me actually transitioning. My dad and sister, I know they won't get it.

13. Ali101xx

Ali101xx Guest

Out Status:
    All but family
    Aww that's great, I hope your future goes well.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2014 at 12:34 AM ----------

Yeah I guess it was quite hard for them to call you using feminine pro/nouns, but one day hopefuly they'll be more accepting that you're actually a girl, but amazing that they still love you no matter who you're. Hope all goes well for you. I personally couldn't tell my parents about me being transgender and I can't even tell her about me wanting to transition. But it's just amszing that they understand.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2014 at 12:38 AM ----------

This is exactly the kind of reaction that I get from people so I don't bother telling anyone about my gender until they are educated about us LGBT.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2014 at 12:42 AM ----------

It's really good that all of your coming out experiences have been positive. I really haven't got the courage to come out as transgender and I applaud you all for it.

14. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I'm out to my sister, a few trusted friends, my lgbt group (obviously lol) and online peeps for both my gender (I'm genderfluid with a leaning towards masculinity) and sexuality. Everybody is totally cool with it although my sister sometimes gets overwhelmed like when I told her I wanted to get a binder...she outright told me she didn't understand but if it helped me then she was cool with it.

15. RainDreamer

I am out with my mother. I guess one of the nice thing about having divorced parents and no contact with my father means I only really need to come out to one of them.

She has been supportive, but she just doesn't understand, and tried to help me, sometimes in wrong ways like trying to cut my depression med cause she afraid it was making me thinking weirdly...but she is trying. She also sometimes seem to try to compromise things, like, I want to look 100% girl, but she said she thinks I would look better androgynously...