1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out on facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Complex, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Complex

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    guys do you think i should risk it by coming out as trans. i might actually have some people think of me as a guy.....but problem is i have people on my facebook who *might* give me shit about it but i want to come out as being trans so what do you think i should do?

2. PaganPoetry

idk tbh :s some people might not be as accepting as others but you can always adjust certain settings to exclude certain people from seeing your posts on facebook which is what I did when I posted my photos from World Pride

3. RainbowMan

Only you can say what you should do - it all depends on the safety issues. I personally think that if the rewards outweigh the risks (which they almost always do in these situations - you live in an accepting country from what I understand, and assuming that the people that you're friends with on Facebook aren't completely transphobic, that should be fine too) then you should go ahead and do it.

It provides you the opportunity to begin to live your life authentically as a man, and the freedom that comes with that is probably greater than some friends giving you a hard time for a bit. Of course, it also depends on what the "hard time" is - if they're going to cause physical harm, then your safety should be your first priority.

Congratulations on taking this step!

4. Complex

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah i think i will my mate's are pretty supportive of this stuff so they'll stick up for me anyway. i live in Australia so im pretty right except for the fact im in a country town and almost everyone's against that stuff except my friends.

Everyone wish me luck!

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2014 at 08:35 PM ----------

....i just lost my confidence i just realized i have 700 friends.... ^_^; i'll probably do it tomorrow though.

5. Kaeden42

Good luck! I hope it goes well. If anyone on facebook gives you a hard time you can always block/unfriend them, or set it so that they can't see certain posts as someone else mentioned.

6. the haunted

You can do it ever so subtly. Hide your gender to where only you can see it, then change it. Wait a few days and then make it visible to your friends.

That's what I did with my "interested in." I don't like making a spectacle of myself.

7. Candace

I think you can alter your statuses as to who can read them in their newsfeed. Do you honestly care about everyone single one of your Facebook friends' opinion? Care about those who matter most and have your best interests at heart. Good luck and give us any updates if you decide to go through with this. :slight_smile:

8. BreezyB

I came out on Facebook and had the same worries but everyone I thought would give me shit just thought it was a joke and liked the status

9. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Facebook is a weird thing. People sometimes get hundreds of updates in the course of a day, and whether or not they even look at any of them is open to question. I haven't directly come out there in so many words, but anyone who followed my posts and likes over the past few months (and weeks especially), SHOULD have had a pretty crystal clear idea about what was going on. My brother assumed that I might be thinking of leaving my wife, and no one else said boo. I've told a number of people directly, and while some of them have been supportive and liked my gay-friendly posts since then, they were still remarkably slow about following the trail of clues that I left.

The question is also, does it even matter that much? My friends list includes people I was close to 15 years ago but have seen only occasionally since then, and even a cousin overseas whom I've never met in person. As many times as I've considered doing some kind of a status update, I've found myself thinking, do a lot of these people even care? And it's not like I'm squeamish about being out to people. It just feels a little like putting up a billboard in a giant row of other billboards on a busy highway and expecting someone to see it, read it, and comprehend it.

10. Greeley

What i did on Facebook was i changed my orientation to "Gay" but made sure that it didnt publish it. So if people WANTED to know, they could go and check.

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The question I'd ask is, do you give a shit about the people who *might* give a shit, or give you shit about it? If the answer is no and you can live without their support and friendship (and you are ready to do it) go for it.

You can never please all the people all the time and you shouldn't even try.

Just be safe.

12. ABeautifulMind

You know, I would think telling some of your closer friends first might be a better idea... I mean, if my best friend told me he was gay over facebook i would be a little irritated, not about being gay, but because facebook is usually so informal where everyone can see, you close friends might be better to tell in person first... i dont know if this makes sense but i just think fb is too informal for telling close friends and especially family... i mean God forbid you do this and someone else let it slip to your parents before they notice... I would think parents would take it worse coming from someone else, or may start going into denial thinking they are lying causing a roadblock before you can tell them...

13. Complex

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just posted it up a couple of minutes ago told them if they got problem with than i got a problem with them...dont think anyone seen the post yet though cos i got no replys lol btw my dad and he's have started calling me my name my real name! yay!! :grin:

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2014 at 06:15 PM ----------

one of mates are backing me up now with it :grin: i probably shouldnt give a shit about what everyone else thinks of me anyway.