1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a friend without sounding desprate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hiimbi, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Hiimbi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey. So im 19 and bi and only recently coming to terms with it. Ive never told anyone, despite friends half-jokingly telling me that if I were gay they´d support me. I know I have friends who I trust, but Ive always felt that if I come out to even one person I know, everything becomes so real and theres no going back.

Anyways, I started my first year of university a bit ago and made a friend who lives close by. We´ve become close friends this semester. I find him attractive and cute. And though He´s never explicitly said it, I definitely know he´s gay, and he knows that I know. He probably assumes that I am too. The thing is, I feel like I have a lot of feelings and thoughts and confusion that I feel like I need to vent about, and I feel like I can trust my friend with it. But I don´t know how to like casually say something like "hey, im bi. Youre gay. Lets talk about how that affects our lives". Im really bad at talking about serious things, especially when it has to do with me. I get all nervous and awkward and I normally dont end up saying what i wanted to say.
    Anywayssssss, i just wanted to know if any of you guys have any tips on how to casually talk about your sexuality with someone you know would understand you. And also not sound desperate about wanting to vent all of your confusion and frustrations and stuff.

Thanks haha c:

2. olides84

In your situation, I think it's always hard to do it casually. Instead, you could push yourself into a more serious conversation. So just say at some point when both of you are kinda busy something like "hey - can we sit down in the next few days and talk sometime - i'd really like to discuss something with you privately". He'll say of course, and then you'll set up a coffee or a time in someone's room or whatever. Then when that time comes, sure it may be awkward, but the ball is rolling, he will be focused on you, and then you can come out to him and say you are simply "looking for support from a close friend", nothing more. Hopefully it'll evolve naturally from there.

3. ABeautifulMind

Agreed.

It shouldnt be intimidating if he is gay. Kind of wish I knew more gay/bi peeps not that I think about it....

4. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Well you could tell him you're BI and idk maybe hope that he knows and that he brings up his sexuality and maybe he will begin to wonder why you are telling him unless you feel for him what he feels for you. Give him hints just little clues that you have feelings for him, when talking look him in the eyes and don't look away touch him every chance you get(not in places, that you shouldn't be touching cx) on his arm his hand. If he's bright enough he will catch on and will begin to notice that you have feelings for him but make sure that you do it AFTER you tell him if and when you do tell him.

I hope I helped :slight_smile:
    Good luck with your guy :slight_smile:

5. Hiimbi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys! :grin: