1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out!?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JamJ, Jul 10, 2014.

1. JamJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wondering whether or not to come out to my only brother? I've already come out to my sister and she's really supportive and said that our brother wouldn't mind either. Apparently he told her that he wouldn't mind someone in his close family being gay. This was quite recent and so I'm not sure if he's overheard us speaking about it or if it's just a coincidence. He's quite a stereotypical older brother e.g joking about girls with me ect. I'm not so sure if he'd be quite so "happy" about it. Please give advice on whether or not to tell him yet? Thanks in advance. :lol:
    P.s we have a gay uncle and everyone is the family is and has been cool with that fornabout 30 or so years, so it isn't like an alien thing for my family.

#1 JamJ, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. Kabuki

I think that if he haves no problem with a gay relative, you can pretty much tell him. It might be a coincidence, or he might have overheard, but whatever the reason, it is actually good news for you. I say go for it. Just remember that he might be talking about girls because people always expect others to be straight. Maybe after you tell him, he'll adjust and instead of girls, he'll joke about guys. Give him the chance and if he still jokes about girls, just let him know that you are not interested to them in that way. :grin:

3. Jenna0780

I say go for it! He seems open to it from the get go, coincidence or not, which works in your favor. When coming out to family, I found someone who I knew would be accepting, and then kind of worked up toward the people that I was kind of iffy about. This really helped get some family advice as well, on how I should approach them and what to say, since they knew that person too. Talk to your sister more, and I'm sure she'll be more than happy to help and support you.

4. ShadowsRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Like both above me have said I think you should tell him, he sounds very supportive and your his little brother. We can't make you, but you have to be comfortable doing it not felling pressured to do it.
    Hope this helps.

5. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Hey and welcome, you are very lucky to have someone like your brother who is accepting and open about the topic. You should tell him because it will be a huge weight off your shoulders and it seems like he expects you to tell him either because he overheard you or because he assumes you are gay, either way he has already said he would support it and also you have a uncle who is gay(I have an aunt who is a lesbian) and he is willing to accept it, so don't worry about it, don't freak out. Tell him when you feel most confident but take your time and you dont have to be In a rush to leave that closet of yours empty.

Good luck :slight_smile:
    If you ever need a friend don't hesitate to contact me :slight_smile: