1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to my homophobic Christian parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Awsomesauce08, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Awsomesauce08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents are homophobic and really religious. How should I g:help::help:astonished: about coming outt to them?:help:

2. DoctorWatson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. My parents are not hardcore Christians, but they're not liberal either.

To be honest, if they were really Christians they would accept you for who you are and wouldn't love you any less. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world, so you need to be prepared. If I were you, I'd wait until I become financially independent and (preferably) live on my own before I tell them. That way, in the event that they do not react well, you still have a home to go back to and you can "technically" go on with your life. I have never come out, but from what I've heard there's a good chance your parents will eventually come around and see that you are still their child and that you still deserve their unconditional love. All the best! :slight_smile:

3. Candace

I don't know your age, but I'll assume for now that you still live with your parents. I would come out to them when you have your own independence. This means that you have your own apartment, job, etc. If they take it in the worst way possible (which in this case, seems very likely), then they can't hurt you. If that doesn't work for you, do you have any relative that might be supportive of you? If this is the case, then that relative can help stand by you when you do decide to come out to your parents. Find some good friends, family members, and build yourself an army of support and love. Parents should love their children no matter what anyway, so...I expect nothing less from them. Anyway, all the best to you and good luck :slight_smile:

4. ABeautifulMind

I believe I have seen you post more than once about your parents.

If you still stay at home wait til your out of the house. Your dads comment about knocking the kid to the ground for coming out leaves alot to be desired.

That being said once you do come out I think with time they could accept and love you the way you are, but I do think it will take time. Time that you dont want to be hanging around during.

I also agree telling other family members might be a good idea, just make sure that they wont spill the beans to your parents. If that idea worries you, their is the option of going to LGBT support groups and starting a network that way.

5. Budweiser

A true christian who followed their beliefs would not be homophobic (go figure). To put it simply, it is NOT what Jesus would do. Also, contrary to everything everyone knows, you do not go to heaven for being good and go to hell for being bad. You go to heaven for accepting god and go to hell for not accepting god, that's why serial killers can suddenly decide to be bible believers on death row and gain the approval of the christian community.

However, many of not just about every single person, does not understand this. So they hate gay people and tell them they're going to hell automatically, despite this being very, very backwards to their belief system. Condoning a physical act and out right hating a person are two very different things. Christians are not suppose to condone the physical acts, but they are not suppose to hate gay people, either.

Sit down and have bible study sessions with your parents, tell them that this has been a hot topic at school lately and you want to learn more from the christian side. Then when you are moved out and ready to come out, you'll have gotten some education under their belts and earned a little point-of-view respect. Does that make any sense?

Hope this helps!