1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why coming out is important?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MyLittleWorld, Jul 12, 2014.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In your personal opinion?

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Well people that are close to you will probably have to find out at some point because it affects your life so it's good to tell them. Plus it spreads awareness; I think part of the reason that being LGBT is more accepted is because more people are coming out

3. Candace

I think it's a testament to tell everyone about your true self. You're not hiding anything anymore, and like the guy above me stated, it spreads awareness and gives courage for the next guy to do so as well :slight_smile:.

4. RainDreamer

There are a few reasons:
    1. Self-affirmation. Coming out to someone with them as a witness kind of seal up your way back to the closet. It forces you to affirm yourself, be who you really are without letting fear getting in the way anymore.

2. Informational. In this case, you may simply come out to tell someone who you are and how to interact with you without making both parties uncomfortable.

3. Making a statement. This has extended beyond your personal sphere, and you are coming out as part of a movement, making a statement that declares who we are.

5. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm preparing to come-out in two weeks at most, and for me it's especially the feeling of being open and honest. My situation is kind of special because of the fact that I became attracted to my best friend, who would be the first one I would tell in any case. But he has told me a lot about himself, he trusts me as his best friend, and I am indirectly lying to him every day. And that tears me apart. The same problem I had while I had a gf, and then I realised I loved my (male) best friend. I wasn't ready to tell her anything, and I ended up leaving her for other reasons too, but if I was to stay with her any longer, I would have to come out. It's a part of me, and if I get this close to somebody, he/she should know it.

So, to sum up in one word - honesty.

6. HTBO

I agree with the above responses, my biggest reason was honesty with everyone else and especially to myself so that I can live the way I want to.
    I don't think we should have to come out, straight people don't. This is why I agree that coming out is more than a personal issue, but a piece of a larger issue. We are all assumed to be straight, and the more awareness we bring, then maybe heterosexuality will not be assumed someday. Rather than asking is it a boy or girl at birth, ask I wonder who the baby will end up being a boy or girl, straight or not, etc. We want to live in a world without assumptions but that allows the freedom to live as the person you are and not expected to be. Maybe I'm being idealistic, but I don't think it's impossible.

7. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well from how i look at it, i guess it gives a sense of more individuality and diversity the gay community can have as a whole. It will make it more easier in the future for anyone that's struggling with their sexuality and be accepted without discrimination. i guess i can sum it up to that much. in terms of personal relationship and stuff, i'd like to think that people have their own sense of paths and personal views.

8. myrtle33

Feeling like I was finally being ME and not pretending to be something I wasn't was important for my own sanity. I felt like I was finally being honest with myself when I was coming out, and I feel like that's one of the most important things we can do. People around me had asked me if I was gay for years though, so for some it wasn't so surprising.

9. person57

When you're openly gay/bi/trans, etc. you feel like yourself. And people are a lot happier and better when they're themselves. Another reason to come out is so you can be in a relationship and not have to hide it, because hiding these kind of things feel awful and you shouldn't hide relationships.

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being out is important for me because it means being me, not what people think I should be from looking at me. It's weird how much of a divide there really is between the genders and how present gender is in even the most basic of social interactions.