1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trick or Possiblity

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Trumpetplyer23, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Trumpetplyer23

This story is sort of weird, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that this has happened to. Some names have been changed.

So, yesterday I was hanging out with my friend, outside of his math class (my class didn't start for a little bit and it was right around the corner) and we were talking and laughing, normal stuff.

Then this random guy (that I think is gay) from band comes up and taps me on the shoulder, normally we don't really talk because I don't like his personality, but this time is different. And he says (more like whispers in my ear) "Eleanor likes you, y'know" and he's doing all these creepy eyebrow gestures that indicate to me that he means like, she likes me as more than a friend. So, I just said "Um, okay, whatever, I don't believe you" and he goes "She does" nods his head, and walks away. We'll call him A, for future reference.

Now, Eleanor and I really don't talk even though she's the section leader of the trumpet section. She's kind of, bitchy, and I have like, no idea if she hates me or whatever, but I never get yelled at by her...so, I guess that's a good thing?

Anyways, my friend (the one I was talking to) says "what the hell was that all about?!" and I told him what happened and he goes "OMG GO FOR IT GO FOR IT!!!!!" and I"m like "Uh, no, it's most likely a trick. So, I'm going to wait and see what happens".

It was time for the pep rally (a gathering of all the students to get them pumped for the football game) and the band plays in that.

We were down on the gym floor and I was talking to a few friends and joking around. Then A comes up to me again and says (again, whispers in my ear) "She does, yep" and he looks at her then back to me. This time I didn't say anything but I gave him a look like this :dry:

But, Eleanor was standing really close to me, which she's never done before, like, she was in my comfort zone and it was kinda annoying. Then she walked away. She also was whispering to her friend and they both looked back at me.

Later at the football game, we were doing 'Scots' (a tradition and we dance and headband to a drumbeat, it's pretty sweet, especially at the top of the bleachers). Usually Eleanor stands at one end of the bleachers and I stand at the other end (like I said, we really don't talk) this time she was standing one person over from me (it's really cramped up there too), but before she got up there, she was whispering in A's ear and they both looked at me.

Personally, I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. So, I don't believe either side, if it's a trick or if it's really true. I'm just going with the flow. I won't believe that she likes me unless she does something drastic, like, I don't know, kissing me in front of everyone. I just don't believe them. I need proof either way.

My questions are, what does everyone else think of this? And if this was a trick, why would Eleanor put her sexuality into question? I'm just confused.

#1 Trumpetplyer23, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, what kind of "trick"? Either A's doing this alone, or Eleanor's in on this. Let's assume she is. Then what's going on?

"Let's make Trumpy think that I like her!"
    "That sounds like fun. Maybe I could drop some hints that you like her."
    "OK. And maybe I'll stand close to her more, and act friendlier."
    "Wow, she's sure to fall for it then."

Why? I mean, it's a pretty long way to go for a joke, and there doesn't seem to be much payoff. If you start acting friendlier towards Eleanor, is she going to call over A and say, "Yep, she fell for it", and they'll both laugh heartily as they walk away arm in arm?

If A's doing it alone, then what? "I bet I can make Trumpy fall for somebody in the group. I bet I can make her think that Eleanor likes her." Again, why? It's not that people are never mean or conniving or what have you. It's just not a way we humans normally go about things.

There's a way to clear things up easily, without putting much on the line - cut out the middleman. Talk to Eleanor directly. Ask if you can talk to her (semi-privately). Be friendly, smile and say "You know, A keeps talking to me about you. I don't know if what he says is true, but if it is, just know that you don't have to use somebody else as your go-between. If you ever want to talk to me, just come talk to me, OK?" This doesn't commit you at all to anything. It doesn't even state what you've been told by A. (Although she'll probably ask afterwards - it's up to you if you want to tell her then.) But it'll either nudge things forward, or end the "deception" if there was indeed one.

Lex

3. SlickyPants

Are you attracted to her? If she was being truthful about liking you then could you actually see yourselves dating? If not it's simple. Tell her you're flattered but not interested.

If you do like her back, Lexington's advice is a really good idea. If she is pulling a prank she is expecting you to make a move. By eliminating A from the equation and letting her know that she can just talk with you directly, you put her in a position to make a first move. It turns the tables a bit. Hopefully if she really does like you she will make an attempt to talk to you directly or hopefully if she is playing a trick she will just back off.

Never underestimate the immaturity of some high school students.

4. Trumpetplyer23

Well...

at one time I did kind of like her, but, nothing really came out of it because I thought she was straight and I really didn't know her too well.

Also, I'm going to a band party today and she might be there, I can't remember if she said she had to work or not, so, but, I think I'm going to wait and see how it pans out. For now anyways.

I think Eleanor is part of it, even if it's not a trick, because her and A are really close friends. Basically, like, she's his fag-hag, I guess you could say.

And at my school, having your sexuality under question isn't exactly the best thing in the world, I mean it's not terrible, but lots of people aren't as accepting as the others are.

I just think she would be dumb to put her sexuality in question for a dumb joke that probably isn't that funny in the first place.

5. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

your already out right so waht are they gonna do?? oh everyone she is gay !! haha !

6. Trumpetplyer23

Yeah,

I see what you mean Master Hade, but it's not just my out status at stake here. It's just, that entire not wanting to be hurt again.

I found her myspace page. I might request her, I might not.

Her status says "I hate not knowing", but that could be about anything so I'm not assuming anything. Assuming something makes an ass out of you and me.

Nothing was mentioned today, but, you never know.

Well, I requested her. I mean, we are in band together and stuff, plus, one can never have too many friends on myspace.

#6 Trumpetplyer23, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  7. Trumpetplyer23

Thought I'd update a little bit.

She accepted my friend request on myspace. Woot. Not that that means much.

Later, I put my status message as "What do you want from me?!" the next day, her's said "why don't you ask me already?" Still, not assuming anything.

Last Wednesday, I was changing my shoes from band (we march outside at 8 o'clock in the morning, there's dew on the ground) and I had my foot up on my chair and she walks over there and is just standing, literatly less than a foot away from me. I was expecting her to say something, but she never did, after about, 3 minutes, she walked around me and to the other side of the band room.

After lunch, everyone was walking up the stairs, and she was on the stair ahead of me. At first, she was not directly in front of me. Then she moved, for no reason, so that she was right in front of me. And everyone knows what you see when you walk up stairs behind someone.

So, yesterday was a football game (American). We were there, because we're both in the band.

I was sitting in a row, and she sat a few rows behind me at first. Then, after halftime, she sat directly behind me, these rows are really close, if I would have leaned my head back my head would have been in her lap, which would have been uncomfortable.

Not only that, everytime she walked down the bleachers, regardless of what direction she was heading, she always seemed to walk right by me and when we were getting ready to march out, and we were getting down, I turned and there she is standing on the seats in front of me, so, her butt is roughly right in my face and about a foot away.

Also, she was walking up the bleachers, and to be nice and to prevent anything from getting broken, I moved my hat and music, while I was moving she brushed her leg against my arm. Now, this might have been an accident or whatever, but it still seems noteworthy to me.

8. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

It could be very well a possibility. I think you guys should try engaging more in a conversation, I mean not talking doesn't get anything done. Ask her if she would like to hang out or something! You'll never know til you can talk to her!

9. Trumpetplyer23

Another update yay!!!!

Okay, so, I was walking to my class, which is down the same hallway as Eleanor's locker, and she has happened to walk by me, in front of me, and behind me.

So, she's about 5 feet in front of me, walking. All of a sudden, she turns into my class. I was thinking "Oh god. Another wacky conicidence". Now, I can't not go into my class. There's only one way in and out. So, I walk through the door.

She's standing there, 4 feet from the door. Just standing there. My teacher sells gumballs, but she wasn't buying a gumball because she wasn't at the right place to buy a gumball in the classroom. And she didn't buy one before because I walked in roughly 5 seconds after she did, not enough time to walk from the door to the other side of the room, and buy a gumball.

Okay, then, after I walk in, she looks at me, I look at her, and then she basically runs out of the room.

An idea or 'theory' I had about this is kind of complex, but, we'll see if it works tomorrow. The volleyball team is selling pink carnations for "Volley For The Cure" (raises money for breast cancer research). You fill out a little card, pay a dollar, and they deliver your message. They even encouraged getting one for a 'secret' crush. So, I was thinking, maybe she bought one for me, and had to see where I was that class period. But, I don't think so, it's just an idea. Probably a wrong idea, but it's an idea.

10. Étoile

Ooh, I thinks somebody likes you! Everything seems to be too much for a coincedence, especially the recent incident with her being in your class. I say wait for a few more clues before jumping into things with her since you don't know if there's any rocks in the water.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, for the love...

Look, she's coming over to you. She's at least making a bit of an effort to get you two in the same general proximity. And what are you doing? Apparently, taking inventory of possible hints that she's interested in you. And that's all. What are you up to - ten? fifteen?

And now they're doing a "secret crush" thing, and you're...hoping she sends one to YOU. Not sending one to HER.

Throw her a bone already, will ya? :slight_smile:

Next time she's near you, say "Hi." Add something friendly like, "I saw you accepted me on myspace - thanks!" And then start talking to each other. Because that's how us people get to know each other. :slight_smile:

Lex

#11 Lexington, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008