1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just don't know what to do..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jami3, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Jami3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So today I was watching the L word, and my grandmother came into my room and just sat there watching. She asked me why I was watching a show about gay girls and I just told her that it was because it was interesting. This led to a whole conversation about how she thought it was okay for a guy to be gay but she thought girls liking other girls was disgusting and just wasn't right. She told me that she prayed me and my sisters never turned out that "confused". When she left I was in tears because she was the one person in my family who I thought I could tell, but it turns out she's just a homophobe like the rest of them. I just don't want to have to feel like I'm hiding this big secret from her and it hurts me so bad that she would say something like that, even though she didn't know any better

2. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it fascinating how many straight people seem to only be against gay people of their own sex, just because they couldn't imagine being with someone of their own sex themselves.
    Like I don't find men attractive, the thought of two of them having sex is gross to me, but I'd never hate gay men or try to make their love illegal simply because I dont find men appealing. How ridiculous.

Grandmas are often a bit difficult, they grew up in a time where homosexuality just wasnt even a thing, and most definitely not an acceptable one.

Is your family religious? Sounds like it since she's praying for you.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Please make sure only to come out to your family when it's safe to do so, when you could live independently and cut them out if it were necessary.

Other than that many people, once they actually know someone close to them who is gay, will become more accepting over time, so maybe they'll eventually come around.

3. Jami3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My grandmother is really the only actively religious person in my family. And I know what you mean, I just don't want to have to be in the closet the rest of her life.

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that sucks that you have to go through that.
    i can agree with what geekmonkey said. consider the fact that your grandmother came from a different time and a different culture that may have not been as open as today. i don't think you can "pray" the gay away anytime soon. it just how the way we are. it might help to suggest a religious church, hall, monument or whichever the case may be, that might be open to LGBT individuals. a good verbal talking with someone just as faithful as she is, might change her views. don't give up too easily.