1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shifting the conversation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShyFlame, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ShyFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello Everyone,

I hope you all are well. I would like your advice/input on something. Tomorrow I'm planning on calling two close friends to tell them that I am bisexual. I've come out to a few people already, but it was easy because those individuals are gay. But the two I am planning to tell are straight, so I'm a bit nervous. They are accepting of gay individuals and we have mutual friends who are already out. I just don't know how to shift the conversation to me coming out. How would one transition from catching up with an old friend to coming out?

Thanks,
    ShyFlame

2. calgary

Hi ShyFlame
    Congrats on making the first steps on coming out. Finding people that are supportive is key. Sounds like your friends will be fine with it so that takes some of the pressure off, given straight friends are scarier to tell than gay ones. Shifting the conversation is were I really struggle. I tend to take a passive route and wait till someone asks me if I'm seeing anyone or girls. Then say "I'm definitely don't have a girlfriend but there is a guy I kind of like" or "Well since you brought it up I should tell you that I'm gay (bi sexual in your case). The problem with this is your not really enjoying the conversation instead always looking for an in that might not happen.

Taking control of the conversation and just wait for that first pause after the pleasantries and say something like "Besides catching up the main reason I wanted to call you is to tell you that I'm Bi Sexual. I'm coming out and wanted you to hear it from me instead of rumours." Either way I find saying it as soon as possible. Doing along build up just makes things awkward. When I told my mom I rambled for 5 min before I finally said it. It was unpleasant for everyone. It sounds like you thought about it enough so just spit it out and don't think too much. Also, the nice thing about doing it on the phone is you can have a note written down if winging it isn't your thing.

That's my 2 cents anyways. This isn't may strong suit so take it with a grain of salt.

3. ShyFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you for your input. It really helped me out. The conversation went well by the way.

4. calgary

Hi Shyflame

Glad to her it went well. What did you say?

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay! Congrats :grin: (!)