1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Lifestory with No Idea What to do Now

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by me710, Jul 15, 2014.

1. me710

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry, but this will be long. First, let me say that when I was growing up I believe that my mom and dad tried to protect me in their own way. No one is perfect, and this is rural West Virginia.
    I can remember being a little boy. I remember some things from before I was even in Kindergarten. I can remember a story on the local news mentioned men being gay and then asking my mom what it meant when people say someone is "gay." "It means happy." I said, "Oh, I'm gay." Dad told me not to say that; it meant that a man loves another man and wants to be a woman. (I've never wanted to be a woman, btw.) I'm not sure how much longer after that there was another time when I said that I was gay. Of course, Dad said that I didn't know what I was talking about.
    I can remember then that I had a lisp. I was also somewhat feminine. I remember mentioning that I was gay a few more times. I was still fem and had a fem way of speaking. After a while, I started getting punished for it. I got a spanking or sent to bed.
    That didn't stop things completely, but I was sort of trained after a while. I couldn't hide it completely though. There were times when I would slip and say something that was homosexual. I think I once said, "He's pretty," while watching an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. (It was that comedy western one, very early Arnold, and yes, he was hot in that very tight baby blue cowboy shirt.)
    Later, late grade school or early junior high, Dad said I needed to learn to protect myself. That's when the "boxing lessons" started. Probably because I wasn't hiding those tendencies very well. Mom didn't like this idea, but... A sassy remark, a lisp and flail of the wrist, some comment about a guy I didn't even realize was a "gay" thing to say, and it was time to put my hands up. Block this, hold your fists up here like this, swing from here. I got the crap beat out of me... No one ever physically hurt me before. I was bigger than most kids my age; they left me alone other than some mean remarks. There were only three or four boxing lessons. I can't remember much of the last one, except that it hurt. I remember getting off the floor feeling hot, scalding hot, from the inside. I jumped on my dad and put him into the couch. I was on top and somehow he couldn't get his hands up. I punched him over and over in the face as hard as I could. My right hand hit him in his left cheek and eye. Then I hit him in the nose several times he started to scream. I broke his nose. Blood was pouring out all over his mouth and chin. I got off of him and ran crying to my room. I don't remember anything else about that night or anything else from around that time. I believe that was the end of Dad's training.
    The only other homosexual learning experiences I had was with a neighborhood boy that I played with. We stayed nights together growing up, bathed together as little kids. As far back as I can remember we were flirtatious. He was a year older. He would come over to swim or play video games. We would touch each other over our clothes on the buttocks or genitals. He always started it. He always ended it too, with a punch and a "Faggot!" Over the clothes turned into lifting each other's shirts or unbuttoning and unzipping each other's pants and rubbing each other. It would still end with a hit and a "Faggot." The last time, I was 13, we were doing the usual, but this time he got in the floor and pulled the back of his pants down. That was how I lost my virginity. After, I wanted him to let me see his penis; I still hadn't, though I'd touched it in his pants a few times. I tried to open the front of his pants, and he beat the shit out of me. I didn't hang out with him after that, but every time I saw him, which was still often since we lived near and went to school with each other, he would still grab my butt and run his hand towards my anus, or he would grab my crotch. If I ever tried to reciprocate, he hit me, call me a name.
    All through high school and into my mid-twenties, true friends would ask if I was gay. I would tell them no. They would tell me that it was ok and they loved me anyway. I still said no. When I was 24, I somehow managed to get a girlfriend. That was fun at first, but after a while, I realized that I really wasn't attracted to her. I guess any kind of sex mixed with denial and a fear of disappointing my loved ones was enough to keep that going for a while. Needless to say, she eventually left once it was obvious that I was not attracted to her but still willing to have sex. She made the right choice; I had been using her to make myself feel better.
    My relationship with my Dad had its rocky points, but we did get closer and closer over time. He asked me several times after high school if I was gay. He would say, "I don't care. I love you. Just tell me the truth; are you gay?" I denied it every time. I had a roommate once that I developed a crush on. It (me) ruined our friendship. Our friendship ended with a fight. I called home crying hysterically. I lived 100 miles away from home at that time. Two hours after the phone call, Dad shows up at my house with a four foot long piece of hickory reading to take it to my roommate. I calmed him down somehow, and he went home. He was trying to protect me. I didn't know it until then.
    I moved back home. I had some fun recovering from my broken heart. Drinking and doing drugs to excess was fun at the time, all with money mooched from my parents. Dad started to get weak and sick after I was home for a year. I would take him to the VA hospital, and they would tell him to quit drinking, quit smoking, and eat better. He tried it. He got sicker, weaker, and had pain everywhere. I calmed down and stopped my irresponsible living after another year or so.
    One night Dad fell down while trying to walk to the bathroom. He was in awful pain. I called an ambulance. They took him to the hospital. They found that a tumor had been growing on his spinal cord, and it had gotten so large that it broke the vertebrae from the inside out. They said the cancer would kill him within a few months. He was home for the rest of his time. He was awake, and he was himself. I made it a point to sit and talk with him every day. In one of those talks, he asked me again if I was gay, and again, he said he'd love me no matter what I answered. I still lied and told him no. I regret that, painfully. He died a few days later. It was one month after the diagnosis, one week after my birthday. He was a good father, no matter what mistakes he may have made. He did love his children.
    After that, I went back to school. I earned a degree in Elementary Education and went to work teaching 6th Grade. I just turned 34. I have worked and taken care of others for the last 7 years. I work 12 hours a day at my school, sometimes more. I work ballgames, after school dances, and other events.
    No one asks me anymore if I'm gay. I still live at home. My friends have all gotten married, had kids, moved away, or died. I work. I come home. I eat dinner. I watch TV. I bath, and I go to bed. I feel alone. I always feel alone. Work eases it a bit. I like my students and my coworkers, but when I come home, I say a few things to my Mom, pass awkwardly by her new husband who I rarely speak to, go to my room, and sit alone, watching TV and smoking cigarettes. No one asks how my day was. No one asks me personal questions. No one asks if I'm gay.
    I sit alone. I think. I go to gay websites to exchange pleasantries with other gay people that I do not know. I think about telling my friends, my sister, and mother. I feel my heart race. I feel my asthma. I struggle to calm myself and get my breath back. I know my current life, my arm's length between everyone else and myself, my work hours, my hiding, and my loneliness are unsustainable. I balance spinning plates on top of long sticks, and I know that no matter how fast I run, sooner or later, a plate will fall. I will turn to look, and one by one, the other plates will fall and shatter to pieces.
    I have no idea what to do. I know that to be happy, to have a relationship, I will have to tell my family I'm gay. I fear they will reject me since there is this distance between us now. I fear my brother-in-law will not want my nephew to come see me anymore. I fear the status quo. I'm afraid of the crushing loneliness. I'm afraid of what change will bring.

2. person57

Hello, Me710!! Welcome to EC and thank you for sharing this with us. Remember that you don't have to come out now. You can do it whenever you feel ready. :slight_smile: I'm sorry that you're afraid of people rejecting you and not liking you. If people start to dislike you, then fuck them. They don't matter to you and you don't need them. Don't care what they think or say about you because they would be very wrong. Remember to love yourself and be yourself unapologetically :slight_smile: I'm sorry about your dad and I'm sorry about the regret you feel. Also, I'm sorry about you feeling lonely when you're not at work. When you're not working, maybe you should try to make some friends or find a guy. You'll feel a lot happier :slight_smile: Also, once you come out to people as gay, you will feel a lot better and happier and you'll feel like yourself. Trust me, this is coming from an openly gay guy. Like I said before, come out whenever you feel ready. You can do it!! I know you can. We're always here to support you (*hug*)

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome!

You are soooo in the right place. :slight_smile:

There are many here with stories similar to yours, and I think nearly all of us know and understand the pain of being closeted. It's a life of inauthenticity, and it will eat away at you from the inside out.

I'm pretty confident your dad knew you are gay, so the fact that you didn't come out to him doesn't really matter, because he knew, repeatedly let you know it was OK and that he loved you, and that's what really matters.

What's important now is to continue the process you've started in making this post. The shame about having to live an inauthentic life is taking a real toll on you.

Would it be possible to consider moving to a different place where you could get a fresh start and simply be your (gay) self from the get-go? Given the fact that it doesn't sound like you have any/many close friends, it doesn't seem like there would be a lot to lose, and it might give you the freedom to be the real you.

Alternatively, finding a local LGBT center or another gay social group might be a safe way to start testing the waters.

But for sure, the more you talk about what's going on for you here, the easier it will get to feel empowered for who you are.

4. HTBO

I agree with Chip, your dad knew you were gay, and would still love and accept you. From your story, it also sounds like it won't come as a big surprise to your family if you tell them you're gay; they are probably waiting for you to say it.
    I'm sorry for the pain you are experiencing, and to have felt this way for such a long time. My denial was so great I didn't know until last September, and was knowingly in the closet until March and that was difficult, I can't imagine doing it for the length of time that you have.
    I think you are right, it's time to tell your family. You only have one life and to live it in misery is unfortunate. Only you can take control of it and make the changes. Change is hard, but do you think it will be any worse than what you currently experience? At least by living an honest life you have the hope that things will improve, but they will never improve if you continue as you are and the numbness and emptiness will only grow. My intention is not to discourage you or frighten you but you are already in a bad place and you have been for a long time. If your family does reject you then let it be. You are who you are and it's time to be proud of that person. You said yourself that there is a great distance between them and you, so you might as well take that risk, live your life and be the person you were meant to be.
    And welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

5. Hyaline

I think Chip's advice (as usual) is right on.

You might need to take a baby step (maybe a huge adult leap) and go out on your own to have a life reset. The sudden burst of changes can get you out of that comfort zone and get you to move your life forward. Sorta that old adage of "there is no time like the present".

Being honest with yourself, which it sounds like you are, is the biggest first step. Living honestly helps make the smaller difficult parts of coming out easier. Like in any relationship (friends or romantic), getting out there and meeting people can be tough, but ultimately, you'll land on your feet and find people that care about you.

Just take it one step at a time... You are well on you way! Just know the only person holding you back, is you...

6. me710

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for listening to me. I felt a doubtful and foolish about posting a life story, but there's been so much eating at me lately that I had to get some of it out.

I've been taking baby steps to make things better. I've told a friend/coworker I'm gay. I've been trying to socialize with gay guys on the web, and I've been trying to meet guys in person too. I had a few drinks two nights ago with a nice guy. I told another friend/coworker I did that, trying to hint at my orientation.

There's a few support groups I found after doing some searching that meet about an hour away from me. I am going to one of their meetings ASAP. Being some distance from home, that is probably a good place to let my gay self out too.

Again, thanks for listening. I'm not usually this dramatic or needy or whatever that was, but I feel like it's time to care for myself. I've been taking care of so many needs of others if I don't do something to make myself happy I think I might go mental. It's weird, but I think part of me needs to have the permission or support of others to do that.

7. person57

Congratulations on coming out to a friend/coworker!! Proud of you!! Also, that's fantastic that you have been socializing and you're going to a support group!! You're taking very huge steps and I'm proud of you. Remember that you don't have to come out to everyone now and you can do it whenever you feel ready :slight_smile: I'm so proud of you (*hug*)