1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DannyMvp, Jul 16, 2014.

1. DannyMvp

DannyMvp Guest

Hello everyone! Recently I am thinking about coming out to my parents more and more. The problem is that my parents are homophobic enough to dislike gay people. Once I told my mother that I support one candidate in presidential elections who was expressing support to LGBT people. She replied to me saying that that candidate "is gay and that t is disgusting". However, that candidate is not really gay and I did not even point the fact that he was supportive, my mother brought that topic herself. I did not know how to reply. My father is even more harsh against lgbt people. Once when I was a kid he told me to "stay away from gay and trans people because they are mentally ill and therefore you will never understand them". Add to that they actually believe that I am straight since I was in relationships with girls and because I never showed them hints about my true orientation. Conversely, I was trying to prove that I am straight by talking about girls and even making gay jokes since I was in a deep denial at that time. They don't usually bring topics related to LGBT people. Ot's some sort of taboo topic for them. Moreover I am still financially dependent on my parents, even though I live alone and have a part-time job which does not cover all needs. In case if they disown me, I have no safety. But well, I feel guilty for them because I can't be 100% honest with them while they trust me more than anyone else. I have a great parents, I love them with all my heart and I am very grateful for them, but this issue is a big concern. I ask myself all the time if I should come out or not. Even when I will be able to fully sustain myself financially, I will ask that question over and over. Unpleasant truth or sweet lies, being open and happy or secretive and miserable.. I am lost.

2. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do not come out until you are financially independent. It's not worth it.

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea, i agree it probably would not be safe for you if you did