1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out: religious parents and family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by inLoveinHiding, Jul 16, 2014.

1. inLoveinHiding

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It all started for me the summer before my sophomore year of high school. I fell head-over-heels for this girl I met at camp, and it actually went somewhere. Unfortunately, i came home to my oppressive community, and never really had a chance to find myself for 3 more years. I did things with guys to feel wanted, but always felt empty afterwards.

Then I went to college. I moved in with this amazing roommate. She had come out as a lesbian the second day I knew her, and we instantly became best friends. She had a girlfriend at the time, and I didn't have an instant attraction to her or anything. But slowly, I became her top priority, even over her long distance relationship. Falling in love with her was inevitable. And I finally confessed my true feelings a month before we went on summer break.

We've been happily together for 4 months now, but I feel like i'm not being fair to her.

I can't figure out how to come out to my parents, or explain that I identify as bisexual. Hiding is almost unbearable. I love this woman, I want to tell the world. I just don't think the world is ready to hear it.

Advice?(&&&)

2. IG88

Hi and welcome to EC!

If your girlfriend is happy with you acting straight for the moment, then I would go with that option, since your parents are religious. This is especially true if, depending on how homophobic they are, they would kick you out of the house and/or cut off all financial support if they found out you're bi.

Another thing is that they will constantly be trying to get you a boyfriend, since you're bi, ergo you must marry a man, according to them.

It all really depends on how homophobic your parents are.