1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to first family member (Non-binary Trans*)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OnyxPhantom, Jul 17, 2014.

1. OnyxPhantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I guess this will be my first post in these forums, so here goes...

To start, I have been questioning my gender for nearly a year (This upcoming August), and I have been slowly becoming more confident in my gender identity, and I feel almost ready to come out to some of my family now.
    I know that it is suggested to have some supports for just in case it goes wrong when you come out to parents, but in the past year, I haven't had much, if not at all, any possible support due to lack of close friends (I've always been a loner/outsider). I have told a few friends early in my questioning (Which I sort of regret), and they supported me, but since then I have lost many of those friends from unrelated issues.

So now, when I find myself ready to come out, I'm left with this predicament of not knowing what I'd do if something went wrong (Even though I know the risk is low, I am a paranoid type of person).

Now I am tempted to tell my sister, whom I have known to be a LGBT supporter for a long time and recently I found out she is pansexual. My issue is that, being her "little sister", she often does not take me seriously, more so now because I can sometimes act seemingly "immature" because I tend to talk a lot more because I am lonely and tend to get a bit giddy when I get to talk to anyone relatively close to my age group. I want to tell her because if she does take me seriously, I can gain a lot of support from her.
    I am also not sure whether to tell her that I am still questioning (I'm pretty sure now), or somehow describe to her what my weird non-binary gender is (Demigender, more specifically, Demimale).
    Along with this, if I do decide to tell her, it will have to be tomorrow. This is because she leaves to go home in a different province then, and I will not be seeing her for a long time in person, much longer than I plan to come out to our mom (I plan to come out to my mom, and then everyone else, early September (Before college starts), and I probably won't see her again until Christmas).

I feel like I need some sort of guidance here, I feel like I need opinions on this issue, even though I think I might possibly already know the answer to this (Yes, I am silly, but I guess I am just scared).

:help:​

>I might leave the actual coming out questions for September in a different thread later<

2. Nick07

Hi and welcome,

tell her :slight_smile: She will have time to think about it and you can chat even if she is away. I am not sure what a demimale means but I would tell her. Not that you are questioning, but that this is how you feel now. People can change their "opinion" about their gender or sexuality but that doesn't make their current feelings any less valid.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. OnyxPhantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much for the opinion, though I'm starting to feel nervous.
    Right last night before I fell asleep that it crossed my mind that it would give her time to think, do you think a quick private chat with a promised more in-depth explanation later would do? I have an extremely small window in which to do this today, so I'm crossing my fingers here.
    By demimale, I mean that I identify as mostly agender, with some feelings of being trans*male. I'd say the ratio of the two would be 70/30. It's not a very well known non-binary identity as far as I know.

4. Nick07

Just tell her, I believe you are just on the verge and ready :slight_smile: The main think is, you don't feel like a girl. Tell her, what you want from her. Support? A different name? Different pronouns?