1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I start coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Reborn, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Reborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, so I've reached a point in my life where I have accepted myself for who I am but am still very much closeted. I have considered telling others, even just one two, but I fear that people will treat me very differently. I badly want to come out, I am sick of hiding myself, but I built up such an image of myself to others that I fear they won't see me as the same person.

I have at least two friends who I am confident I could tell with positive reactions, but even though their reactions would be positive, they might still treat me differently. I am close to my mother and have considered telling her, as with my sister and brother, but once again, I can't be sure that they will treat me the same.

Another fear I have is that my coming out could spread quickly and I would be bullied at school for it. Other students will surly pick on me or talk about me behind my back. I know I should care about these things but I do, I care tremendously about what others think of me. Adding to this, I feel like even the teachers would treat me differently. I don't want to be alienated!

What I really need to know is, what is the next step and the steps after that? Any ideas you could possibly have that I could use to slowly come out and allow myself to be happy.

Thank you.

2. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just be yourself and don't rush into anything. Take advice from an adult at your school etc if you need too.

3. gaywill13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is always the best way to tell someone, even if it is just one person. They will love you, and your mother sounds like she would. Play it slow, and once your closest friends know, consider whether that's how you want to leave it for now, or start being more open about it. If it spreads, by your wish, your school well may accept you. People are very accepting. I personally didn't want to be fully out, but actually it is very relieving there is no self-censorship which is very liberating, and to be honest, apart from some banter (I go to a boys only school) no one has ever been rude to me about it, even those who disagree with homosexuality accept me. My advice is don't hold it in.

4. Reborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you both. Your reassurance is really comforting.