1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nevermind, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Nevermind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK so, literally, my ENTIRE group of friends left school this year so I'm going back to sixth form by myself. I have a few people there who I'm friendly with but I wouldn't call friends.

How am I I supposed to make friends with people who I've known for five years and never even spoken to.

I'm really bad at this sort of thing, I get really nervous speaking to people I don't know well and usual make an idiot of myself. I'm also have a reputation at school as a bit of a wierdo which I really didn't mind when I had all my other wierdo friends around me, but they've gone and I need to get new friends fast so I don't end up some pathetic loner eating lunch by myself.

Gah, I'm scared. School starts Tuesday.

2. Shrug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    a really gud way to make new friends who share the same interest az u, iz 2 join a klub or 2! it myte b hard, bt u shud introduce urself to those ppl, and start up a conversation!!!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, don't go the desperation route. If you have to eat lunch by yourself for a bit until you can form some friends, so be it. Better to be lonely for a bit than to latch on to just anybody.

How do you make friends? Same way you always do. Reach out. Talk a bit. The two main guidelines are:

1. Find your common ground.
    2. Ask questions based on that common ground.

If you end up sitting next to somebody you vaguely know, start there. "Aren't you on the field hockey team/chess club/welcoming committee? Yeah, I thought I'd seen you around. Hi, I'm NeverMind."

If you don't know anybody, look for somebody who seems a bit friendly. Again, use your common ground. "Have you ever had a class with this teacher? Do you know if he's any good?" Or strike up a conversation in the dining hall. "Do they serve cheeseburgers every day? Are these the only kind of crisps they serve? Why do I keep forgetting every summer how bad the food is?"

Look for signs of interest. If they just sort of nod, smile a bit, maybe murmur an answer, then look away, no need to try to force them into a conversation. That doesn't mean they're unfriendly, or bad people. They just don't feel like chatting NOW. It happens. Just move on and find someone who does. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with Shrug. Try to find clubs or groups in college that interest you and join them. You'll meet people who have the same interest so you have something in common to talk about.

Also chat to whoever you end up sitting next to in class. They may also be someone who doesn't have many friends there from previous schools. Look for people who aren't part of obvious groups of friends and try to start a conversation. You should make the first move though, don't wait for others to approach you.

I'm sure you'll be fine. It's like starting a new job or whatever - usually within a few days we've got chatting and made friends with people.

5. nluvwthagrl1010

Hey, there! I know how it feels to be brand new and feel awkward. You just need to get out there and start talking to people. I have been guilty time and again of judging people before I get to know them. You never know where you will find a wonderful friend! Many people have the same interests as you and don't even know it! Just get in there and start up a conversation. People will surprise you!!! Good luck! :thumbsup: