1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out tip?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whereamigoing, Jul 18, 2014.

1. whereamigoing

I'm 14 and my parents say they'd support me no matter what, but my stepfather is antigay in general. so I'm naturally scared because of that. i also live in the deep south in a backroads tabacco farm town where there's a lof of gun toting gay hating. republican rednecks that think its "immoral" and wrong to be gay. i have come out to my best friend who is coincidentally bisexual herself. I don't care what people think, but I'm scared because some guys in my class beat up a kid for being gay and threatened to kill his "faggot ass" how should i come out or should i at all?

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't come out for now if you fear you are in physical danger. You are young and have a great future ahead. Just be careful until you are in a situation where you know you will be safe.

3. ShadowsRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with him dont come out if you feel threated if you would. Im glad you dont care what others think about you but you have to lookout for yourself and be safe. Though that may mean not coming completely out right now when you can go somewhere alittle more accepting then go for it man.
    Always rooting for you.

4. kelly96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think you should come out unless you feel ready and safe to do so. Its good that you don't care what other people think of you. I find that key when coming out to someone. Maybe you could think of coming out when you would feel more safe, say when you leave that school and aren't around those sorts of people.

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2014 at 12:20 AM ----------

If your stepdad is not physically a threat to you and you don't depend on him and are willing to risk the fact that he may not be accepting you could try to get him to listen to you and understand why you wanted to tell him. Try educating him on LGBT rights and views.