1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freudian slip while speaking with my father...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pie, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Pie

Pie Guest

Today I was speaking with my father and we talked about the right to marry your cousin in the U.S., don't ask me why, I don't remember how we ended talking about it.
    One thing to note: In french we have a different word for cousin depending on if it's a man (cousin) or a woman (cousine). So I asked him if you could marry my male cousin and he corrected me "yeah... your cousine, yes you can marry her if you live it he U.S.". It was very awkward after that and I felt my face going red... And he probably felt I said something I didn't intended to. Did any of you made a mistake like this while you were speaking?

I feel a bit stupid about it now. Anyway, the good thing about it is that it won't be that much of a shock when I come out to him...

2. esc1010

What did he say when you almost said it.

3. Pie

Pie Guest

He didn't seem to pick up on it, but I'm sure he did. We just continued the conversation normally but I was thinking about what I just said and I was concerned. I don't really regret it in fact, I should drop hints about me more often.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! How would you feel about just coming out to your dad? If asked as to whether your dad would be accepting/supportive, how would you respond?

5. Pie

Pie Guest

I guess he would have nothing against it and would be supportive. He's very tolerant so I can't imagine him reacting badly. I'd like to come out to my friends first though, because I don't think I'm ready to come out to my parents yet.

But I won't keep this secret much longer for myself, it's very oppressing to hide constantly. Plus I'm apparently not very good at keeping secrets, hence this thread...

I'll be back home (I'm in holiday, atm) in a week so I'll tell my friends then if I have an occasion!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you feel ready, and feel it would be better to come out to your friends first, try going for it. Maybe think about one friend to whom you would like to come out first, and try speaking with that friend then, and see how it goes. :slight_smile:

7. Pie

Pie Guest

I already found the person I want to tell, my best friend. But my life is like a rollercoaster... Most of the time I really want to tell him, and at other time I no longer want to come out to anyone.
    Yesterday I made a first step and changed my Skype image to this:
    [​IMG]
    I specifically used an image that was kind of rainbow coloured to hint my friends... but that's very very subtle.

I also dreamt about my best friend this night. In the dream, I came out to him and he responded that he too was gay, so we made out together, hugging, holding hands, ... and then I woke up. :tears:

8. marieblue

Haha gotta love French. He probably didn't notice it. My first language is French (both my parents are native French speakers) and my dad still has trouble with pronouns. Your dad probably didn't even notice it.

I've had slips like that so I know it can be humiliating. When I was younger I told my best friend (a girl) I loved her - when I was in love with her - and she totally noticed it because it was really out of character for me and I wasn't really affectionate in general. So it happens...

Que sera, sera!

N.B. your fractal Skype image is probably too subtle for anyone to notice - especially people that know what a fractal is. With regards your best friend I would just suggest you try to move on and find a new crush - its hardly ever worth to wait for un-reciprocated love.

I think it might just be better if you take the plunge rather than just dip your feet! It might be a shock at first but at least you know where you stand!