1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loneliness

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JessM98, Jul 19, 2014.

1. JessM98

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, I'm 16 years old, and I have come out to many of my friends and one cousin. I am absolutly terrified to tell my parents and I sometimes feel really lonely. Even though most of my friends support me and are always there for me. There is no one I can really talk to that will understand me. There are other gays at my school, but I just don't fit in with them either. They are the type that talk about fasion and are kinda girly, and I'm not like that. Iv never had a boyfriend so I have nobody to really talk to about this. Any advise? Thanks!!!

PS: I'm really new to this so I'm still learning my way around. Thanks for your help!

2. LadyLover

Hi, JessM98, before you start freaking out too much, I think you should assess your position. Are your parents super religious? Do they ever talk about LGBT people? If so, what do they think about it? Do you think that it could be dangerous to come out??? 'Cause I've heard of Gay people being thrown out of their houses after coming out and having to live on the streets.
    It's a harsh reality but it exists. If it's safe to come out, you could do it in a letter or a text message (What I did). It can be tough to find out Gay people that you can fit in with. I remember feeling left out when I first realized I liked girls. Does your school have a GSA? Thats a really good way to meet other LGBT people and straight allies.
    Goodnight, LadyLover

3. JessM98

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, my parents aren't religious. I know my Mom will accept me, but my Dad absolutly hates LGBTs. He always tells us it's a disgusting life style and it's not possible to be born that way. I go to a very religious school also, and they do not have any of these program's. My school has had problems in the past with LGBTs, if you search
    "St. Pius X in Albuquerque Transgender" you can see a news story on a problem they had with a transgender student.
    Thanks

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Jess, welcome to EC

To quash the loneliness it is good to get a support system around you… like it sounds you already have one really ..just so you spend time with people and there's one or two special friends around who can be relied on if you ever have a rough patch in the future.

You may find your dad is not as 'anti' as he appears once the reality hits home and he has been brought down to size by your mom and others !!

You could go further and join some LGBT youth groups if you have some in your area. Or just any clubs/ societies really so you are spreading yourself around and meeting new people and making new friends.

And sticking around on EC too of course !!

5. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Jess,
    I think you will find not only plenty of folks who can relate to your situation here at ec, but also lots of other folks your age, whom you can connect with. Don't worry things will definitely get better for you, and you're not alone in feeling alone, if you know what I mean. :slight_smile:

Damien.

6. etcetera

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get where you're coming from with the whole school thingy. I did three years in a pretty extreme catholic boys-only boarding school in Ireland. Not very accepting, and of the 500 students, not one of them were openly LGBT+. As soon as I realised I wasn't straight (after 2 years), I came up with a reason to move schools. I picked out a new school, organised an interview with the principle and dragged my mom along. It took a good 6 months for me to convince my parents that moving was in my best interests without telling them my real reasons. As a result I'm about to go to college a year earlier (the Irish education system is weird like that) and am able to come out without putting up with a load of crap from all the religious extremists at my old school.
    If your school is really as bad as it is made out to be, then moving mightn't be the worst thing for you. Then again, if you have a strong support network in your school, one that could prove useful if coming out goes badly, then maybe you'd better stay put...

7. LadyLover

JessM98,
    I'm sorry to hear that your dad has such a problem about being a homophobe. I wish you the best of luck and I hope your situation gets better. My school just started a GSA. Maybe you should see if you can get one started. Talk to some people and some teachers and try, man. They're really fun. :slight_smile:

-LadyLover :kiss: (!)

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2014 at 07:49 PM ----------

P.S. I just read an article about what happened with the Transgender Student. I am so sorry you have to be going to the only Catholic School.

-LadyLover :kiss: (!)