1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When and how to come out to my mom?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Miss Victoria, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Miss Victoria

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm 13 and I'm bisexual. None of my family knows but all of my friends know. A lot of people from school know that I like girls. Telling my friends I'm bisexual wasn't really this huge thing. They already knew I had some interests in girls and that I was questioning being bi before. So, when I realized I was bisexual it wasn't this huge thing it was just like okay yeah I'm bi. A lot of my friends already thought I was bisexual. My mom thinks I'm boy crazy because I acted boy crazy before I started to become interested in girls and I still talk about attractive guys with her sometimes. I have a close relationship with her and I am sure she will still love me, but I am sure that she will say something similar to: "oh you are probably going through a phase" What do I do about this? I just want to get this over with and tell her that I'm bi. I am not telling the rest of my family probably for years because I am not comfortable with that and I don't really see why I should right now.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If she pulls the "it's a phase" card, then tell her that it's not and you just want her acceptance.

Think about why you want to come out, then tell her that. Is it annoying to hear "your boyfriend" all the time when you might get a girlfriend too? Tell her that you want her to recognize that aspect of you. Something like that.

Make sure you're very, very clear. If you hesitate or falter, she'll think that you're uncertain. Be confident.

Easier said than done, I know, but if that doesn't work, you can always write her a letter.

Best of luck.