1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being made to come out to my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by itsAli, Jul 22, 2014.

1. itsAli

Mum's telling me I need to come out to my dad, but I'm so scared, I don't know how, I don't know how he'd react, I told her I was transgender a while ago, she was kind of okay with it, better than I expected, but not the most supportive.
    Now she's telling me to tell dad.
    I lied to her and told her I wasn't sure if I am or not and that I want to be completely sure before telling him, so I don't come out, realise it's a phase and have to say "I messed up"
    I'm genuinely terrified on telling him, I don't know how, I don't know when and I don't know how he'll react.
    And I live with him and mum so...
    Please help me

2. scared32

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand telling your dad is scary. But he should love you no matter what. I think just be prepared for questions, explain to him there are many trans persons in this world, plenty of resources, websites, blogs and organizations supporting trans people where he can learn about it. Good luck.

3. itsAli

No, you don't understand, he's an extremely offensive person, he's happy with casual racism, he's happy to call gay people f****ts etc

4. pigpassport

pigpassport Guest

You don't have to tell him if he's like that and you're worried about his reaction. Even if you weren't worried about it if you're not ready to tell him then you absolutely don't have to. The excuse you used with your mum is fine if you want to stick to that but you could try and explain to her that not only is coming out not quite as simple as people think it is, it's not just a case of "well why can't you just say it?", but because of your dad's offensive nature you could try and tell her that you're worried about how he will actually react if/when you do tell him.

5. itsAli

doesn't matter, I told him anyway

6. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How did he react when you told him?

7. Candace

Is he okay with it? Please tell us!! If I were you, I'd have my mom as support in order to cope with my dad. Your mom is not like him, right?