1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

telling my dad...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FtMart, Jul 22, 2014.

1. FtMart

I'm thinking about telling my estranged father that Im really his son and transgendered. I met him when I was fourteen and he's been in and out of my life ever since. He doesn't know im attracted to girls more than guys because he's only known me as straight tomboy. What do you think I should do? I want his side of the family in my life which is why I want him to know. I want him to know me as his son. I'm 18.

2. person57

Hello, FtMart!! Are you ready to come out to your dad? Remember that you have to be completely ready to come out to him :slight_smile: Also, there's many ways you can come out to him. You can tell him in person, over the phone, email, letter, etc. Do whatever feels best for you. If he reacts in a great way, then that's awesome!! If he reacts in a bad way, then fuck him. He wouldn't matter to you and he would be wrong about you. Don't care what he thinks or says if he hates you. But then again, if he reacts in a great way, then that's awesome!! Remember my advice and remember to love and embrace yourself and be yourself :slight_smile: Good luck!!! I know you can do it (*hug*)

3. shadowraptor

Hey FtMart,

I hope everything works out for you, I really do. If you're ready to come out to him, then do it! But if you have any reservations, then I'd recommend waiting until you're absolutely sure you're ready to. But, like you said, he's been in and out of your life, so if things don't work out then screw him and you don't necessarily need to see him again. And even if he does react badly, that doesn't mean the rest of your family will feel the same way.

But if you are really worried he'll react negatively, I would suggest asking someone close to him about his views on the LGBT community. That way you might have a better idea of what you're going up against.

Best of luck to you!

4. Candace

I think that you should go for it. If you're worried, then get support from friends and other family members in order to stand by your side when you decide to tell him. He might be happy that you're honest with him and you're in his life again, despite any changes. You're his biological offspring no matter what. So, good luck and please keep us updated. :slight_smile: