1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If it was you, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by smilealways, Sep 2, 2008.

1. smilealways

smilealways Guest

Next year, I will be living together with the two flatmates that I am living with now. I met them this year here and they would like to flat with me next year and also I want to flat with them.

They are good friends to me but they dont know that I am gay. I was wondering if I should tell them that I am, before next year, or not tell them.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd tell them.

If they're cool enough that you want to room with them, they presumably haven't ever made you think they're homophobic. And if you're going to be living in close quarters with them, it might be something they'd rather hear from you rather than "finding out". So I'd go ahead and tell them. Just bring it casually, as if you're reminding them of something. "You guys do know I'm gay, right? I don't remember if I told you or not, but just wanted to make sure you're cool with that."

Lex

3. myra

I'd tell them. Like Lex said, do it casually. I just told my future room mate for college about a week ago that I'm bi. Wasn't planning on it over the phone, but it at least gave her about 2 weeks to get comfortable with the idea. She asked what clubs I was interested in and I said I'd join the LGBT thing they have there. She laughed because she had a second where she thought I was lesbian and then remembered I have a boyfriend. I'm just like, "Well, actually I'm bi." They should take it ok if they have open minds. This generation is definately more accepting than some of the older ones.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I say tell them. Mostly likely it will bring you closer. :slight_smile:

5. Noah

Tell them, at least you'll have it out of the way

6. Beth

i'd tell them
    best do it b4 because it'd b harder if u all moved in then it went wrong (not that it will.if ur really good mates there shud be no problem :thumbsup: )

on the other hand u shud come out because u want to,not cuz ur movin in together

7. riddlerno1

Is there any reason that you havent told them already?

8. Miles D

Like everyone else said, tell them.
    Maybe they'll be fine, maybe they'll change their mind about wanting to room with you. Either way, you really should find out sooner than later.

9. Louise

Yep, I would definately tell them before rooming with them. If you keep it from they they could quite rightfully feel that you have lied to them or at very least mislead them.

10. smilealways

smilealways Guest

Thanks for the replies. Umm, I will be flatting with them next year (meaning living in the same flat) but not rooming. Not sure how flatting changed to rooming :lol: Maybe "flatting" is only used in New Zealand.

Anyway, actually one of them is Christian and he believes that women are created for men. He thinks gay people shouldnt exist. :confused: And he doesnt know he is living with one :lol: Maybe I could teach him a few things.

Maybe its better if I tell them before they find out. hmm..