1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I just come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iseeadog, Jul 24, 2014.

1. iseeadog

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 16 years old and gay. The only one who truly suspected that I was gay was a lesbian herself. She asked me once (I panicked) and left it alone from that moment on. I was flying under the radar until a guy at school asked me during lunch if I was gay. Everyone looked at me and I could feel my face turning red. My voice was filled with fear when i said: 'No, No!'. But the way they all avoided eyecontact with me i could see they didn't believe me. From this moment on my friends have made comments like: 'My God, you really need a girlfriend.... or a boyfriend if thats what you like.' One of my teachers said to me that I'm a momma's boy and that she will certainly want to search my life partner. (He knows my mom. So he meant it as a joke, but the way he said life partner.) One time my intire class got up and started dancing and screaming 'Gay is okay'. Some of the guys even took pink fabric (art class) and covered themselves in it. But i'm not ready to say it to them. I know that I can't cover it up any more, but I want the power to tell them when I'm ready. Not when they think I should be ready. And I'm not ready to be treated different and to be seen as not a real christian by some people. It's vacation now so I've got a while to decide what I should do next. I understand that my situation is very, very good. And that most people can only dream of such a situation. But I'm not ready for the consequences that will follow once I'm out. So what should I do? Should I come out or wait until I'm ready and just ignore there comments?
    English isn't my first language.... so I'm sorry for possible grammer mistakes.

2. BlueCover905

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well ah. You seriously have an advantage most people don't have with your community. I mean if people are throwing out pro gay comments left and right I would say it's rather safe and would be healthy for you to come out.

The Christian thing, don't worry about it. Most Christian branches accept gays. Even the pope said it's ok to be gay and Christian. THE POPE.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't feel ready, don't come out.

BUT, I don't think the 'consequences' are gonna be as bad as you think. You seem to live in a very liberal town. I came out in a liberal town and nobody treated me any differently, and I would bet the vast majority of the people you come out to won't treat you differently either.
    It's true, most liberal Christians will be just fine with you being gay, and those who aren't, screw them. It sounds like most people will be accepting of you, so try not to be bothered by those who aren't.

4. JessM98

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should always come out when you are ready and the way that you want. Seance your environment is so accepting it should end up pretty good. I found that personally I regret not coming out earlier at school, I'm still in this process, but I plan to do this during this next school year. Good Luck!!!

#4 JessM98, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014