1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to my family, Should I wait?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sherlock142, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Sherlock142

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I told my mom once that I was lesbian and she said 'You're too young to know what you want.' So I haven't talked to her about it. She keeps telling me to find a great guy one day and marry him. I just say 'ok.' She does this cause my sister is having trouble with her ex - boyfriend. She also tells my sister she should be gay / a lesbian with my sister best friend. I know it's kinda silly, but it still hurts. Even when my mom say I don't hate gay people. It seems like she want me to marry a man and have a child of my own cause she tells me that I'm a good girl and loves me and wants me to marry a guy I love and have kids and that I'm the child that will help out and stuff. What do I do?

2. shadowraptor

Well she seems to be comfortable talking about being gay with your sister, even if it is in jest. How long ago did you first tell her you were lesbian? If it was a year ago or longer, tell her again, but this time insist that you're serious. If she doesn't believe you, or doesn't take you seriously, then give her some time to think about it because chances are she's in denial. I hope you get it sorted out. (*hug*)

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't tell them until you get in a serious relationship...for real.

4. Candace

I'm glad at least to see that your mom doesn't harbor any hatred towards gay people. Maybe just keep showing her that you mean it. Find a girlfriend. It's not you that has to change and stuff, she does. If she wants you to marry a nice guy just so you can give her grandchildren, then that's kinda selfish of her, in all honesty. Instead, she should be happy for you no matter whom you date and marry. :slight_smile:

5. DoctorWatson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it's understandable that your mom wants you to marry a man and have kids. I haven't come out to my mom yet, but I always tell her that I'm not into the whole "getting married and having kids thing" and she completely ignores me. My parents generation was raised to think that the key to happiness for a man is a wife and a family in a nice little house. But we all know that this is extremely outdated.

Like shadowraptor said, it sounds like she might be in denial. Wait it out a little and then sit her down, look her in the eye, and tell her that you are certain of your sexuality and that you want her to love and support you no matter what. If she truly wants you to be happy, then she will come around.