1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as transgender

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kafei, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm only out to three people. Out of those three people only two actually understood how serious it was and out of those two people only one I'm really even close to. So basically, I'm only out to one person.

The problem is, I'm ready to tell my mom. Telling her is going to be the most difficult out of everyone I know. I know my mom would accept me no matter what I did or am but I'm scared that she's going to try to tell me it's "just a phase" or that she's going to go off and tell people I'm not ready for her to tell just yet. She'd keep it a secret if I told her to, but things slip from her mouth sometimes.

Also, I'm scared that I'll come out and she won't accept me fully as male until I medically transition. I'm going into my senior year of high school after this summer, and honestly I don't want to be out as trans at school, so I want to wait until after I graduate to start things like hormones. It's not that I don't feel safe, there are openly trans people at my school, it's just I don't want to draw attention to myself. I'm used to being in the background and even if I just feel like the center of attention at school I'll feel overwhelmed and uncomfortable.

Honestly, I don't even know what kind of advice I'm asking for here. I sort of just needed to get my thoughts organized. I guess all I need is to discuss this with someone.

2. esc1010

To me you should only tell the people that you trust and will accept you as you are and won't make you try to change.I think that you should wait until you finish High School to tell your parents. When you do, here have a hug (*hug*) And don't forget the MOST important thing..... be proud! :eusa_danc

3. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice. I'll think about it. I trust my parents enough to tell them before I graduate, I just don't know if I'll be okay with being out outside of school and not inside of school as well, heh.

4. Tudor

Hey, I think if you trust your parent enough to share...and you want to...then you should...they could be a good source of support if you do struggle with being 'out outside of school and not out inside of school'...
    what ever you decide, good luck

5. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I still need to figure out what I'm going to say and how I'm going to do it (and when, obviously), but writing this all out and having some input is helping me get my thoughts in order.