1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for dealing with an ignorant friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kafei, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I were to come out to all of my friends I'm pretty confident that 99% of them would accept me. Unfortunately, that 1% is my longest lasting and one of my closest friends. I often think of her as my best friend (even though our personalities and interests have been starting to differ lately) and would hate to lose her. I mean, I know I'd get over it eventually but I'm not ready to deal with that heartache just yet.

She isn't homophobic or transphobic exactly, it's just that she's naive. She lives in a pretty small world and seems to be too timid to try to explore a little and learn about how the world really is and how people really are. We've been becoming less and less close lately and I feel like the only way to improve our relationship again is if I'm honest with her about my gender identity and sexuality. The problem with that is even though it might work it might also scare her away forever. Any advice?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would say, really to just be honest with her, if shes your longest and closest friend, she might be supportive of you but i think you may need to explain it to her though

3. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'll try. It's going to be hard. She sort of does this thing where she'll ignore you or completely change the subject if the conversation starts going somewhere she's uninterested in or uncomfortable with, but there's not really anything I can do about that except try to talk to her and hope for the best.

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea i gotcha

5. Archie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah I agree with Peacemaker - and then if she decides to change the topic, just insist and go back to it because bloody hell it's important to you! It's not like you're talking about The Beatles but she'll diss you cos she likes The Stones, it's something that really matters to you and she has to realise that. Easier said than done, I know. I think we've all been there and know how difficult it is, but just talk to her really. And then if she reacts badly, you know her well so try to understand where she's coming from so you can help her understand where you're coming from! That what I think and I hope it helps :slight_smile:

6. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahh. I'll try my best the next time I see her. Thanks, guys. :slight_smile:

7. Candace

Just be honest with her and tell her how much your friendship means to you and that she could be accepting and be your friend no matter what. I mean, she should be happy for the fact that you are being honest with her and that you decided to confide such important information, right? She can't be mad at you for that, am I right? Good luck and please give us updates whenever you decide to tell her. :slight_smile: