1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to go

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by myra, Sep 3, 2008.

1. myra

Tomorrow I'm heading off to college. I'll be down there till break at thanksgiving. I've managed to say goodbye to everyone and i'm all packed and ready to go. I only have one "problem".

I have a 4 year old brother. I sat him down and explained that i'll be living there and will visit for thanksgiving and christmas. All the holidays. And i told him he can visit me. I just don't know how to make it easier for him. Does anyone have any ideas about how to help him? He understands I'll be gone, but I don't think he understands how long.

2. Miles D

aww.... I had this problem when I left too.
    when they are that little they don't have a real concept of time, so even telling him how long it's going to be, he won't really get it. (that doesn't happen really until 6 or 7)
    just make sure he knows he can call you and send you drawings or art he makes (stuff like that!)

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps him not completely understanding is a good thing? As long as he understands that you will be gone and that it is only for a while then that should be enough for him. He will naturally miss you, but the good thing about little kids is that they get distracted easily and cope better than grown-ups do.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just tell him you're going to school, and you'll be back for the holidays. If he ever gets worried, he can call you, and you can chat awhile to give it some more context. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. If I were in the situation, I'd give him something sentimental, some form of stuffed animal maybe, of mine and tell him that I need him to look after it while I'm gone and that I'll be back to check up on it now and again. It may distract him for a while at least and after that he'll probably stop thinking about the fact you're gone. It's sort of like how my older sister moved out and my younger sister, who was 3-4 at the time, now doesn't think about it much.
    He'll be super excited to see you in the future though, but sad once you have to leave again. =(