1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group therapy/discussions

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by spockbach, Jul 29, 2014.

1. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I thought it might be worth it to mention that last night I attended a sort of group therapy/discussion program at a local support group. It was so incredibly helpful in every way; I've never been a group discussion meeting before and felt so refreshed after I left. The social worker, whom I've known for a while but to whom I felt considerably closer after this meeting was over, showed me that she honestly cared for my personal health, safety, and confidence. I felt like a real person, not a freak, and that I mattered to other people. And it was nice to know that others struggle with some of the same problems I do. Of course, it's easy to understand that others are out there feeling the same way, but something else entirely to be exposed to it in conversation.

Anyway, I thought I would throw this out there so that you guys might give it a shot if you'd ever considered it before. I was surprised by how much I benefited from a single meeting, especially because I almost always prefer to be alone and am pretty much a hardcore introvert.

2. Really

Sounds good!

Can I ask, how did you find this group? Was it a drop-in or sign-up type of thing? How was it billed? Geared to specific sub-section or general non-hetero "audience"?

Did everyone contribute? Was it similar to a live experience of EC?

Oops. Lots of questions. Any answers are appreciated.

3. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No problem! Sorry I didn't specify more.

The meeting took place at a drop-in center and was completely free.

Yes, everyone contributed; there were only a few individuals at this particular gathering.

The meetings take place once a week and are intended specifically for LGBT youth ages 13-23. I was told last night that it was originally meant to help with the coming-out process, but now covers a broad range of topics. I would absolutely agree that it was like a face-to-face version of EC.

4. Really

Very interesting. Thx!